MS To Do frequent crashing.

Anonymous
2024-01-08T16:24:15+00:00

I am a longtime user of the To Do app – since the Wunder list days. For months now the app crashes on my iPad multiple times throughout the day. I’m just sitting there looking at it and it goes away, then needs to be relaunched. At the same time it crashes the homepage widgets, like Weather, etc. all seem to reset as well. I have done absolutely every bit of cleanup you can think of – and apps are up-to-date, apps, closed down and iPad rebooted, ToDo reinstalled, plenty of storage, etc. etc. etc. please help me understand what I can do to fix this. It’s an essential app for me and really disappointing that this goes on . iPad model MK2P3LL/A, iOS 17.2, To Do version 2.112 Build 231222.1358

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft To Do | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-20T08:41:15+00:00

    I have the same problem. The app continuously crashes. Never seen anything like it. Nothing, like a restart helps. Useless app for the moment. Works on the web and Mac. I have to switch to another app soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-13T13:36:41+00:00

    I have the same issue and now use a bookmark to the web version. The problem is only on the iPad, it works fine on my iPhone and PC

    No other Apps have remotely the same severity of issue

    It happens every single time I use it

    I have tried to isolate the issue to a specific action but seems more like the time of use, about 40 secs

    It is a very hard crash with no iOS functions working and then a blacked out screen. I have never seen this on iPhone or iPad with any other app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-12T21:00:59+00:00

    I’m having the exact same issue. To do worked just fine on my iPad and iPhone until somewhat recently, now it’s crashing constantly on both. No other Microsoft Apps that I use are experiencing the same issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-07T15:44:21+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    this issue was a nasty one. However, I might have a workaround, not fixing the bug, but eliminating the cause.

    First, check if the following characteristics apply for your situation:

    AFFECTED SYSTEMS AND HARDWARE

    ToDo on iOS and iPadOS, all running on latest versions.

    STEPS TO REPRODUCE

    start up To Do, wait, crash occurs after 30-120 seconds

    BEHAVIOR

    There is an immediate generation of heat on the affected device after starting To Do that culminates in a crash of the app.

    And now the possible solution:

    1. Delete To Do app and its data from all of your iOS/iPadOS devices
    2. Now, do some house cleaning in your data
      1. Log into your Microsoft account on the web and navigate to your To Do web application
      2. Delete all completed tasks (depending on how long and how viciously you have been using To Do, that may be a few thousand).
      3. If you are using M365 and Planner, go to the Planner web application and delete all plans that you don't use anymore. Also, delete all completed tasks in plans that are still active.
    3. Restart your devices and reinstall ToDo. It should only synchronize your active tasks (either from To Do or Planner)

    If you still got crash problems, delete plans from Planner that are particularly old (in that case it's best to create new plans and migrate active tasks there). I am recommending this, because I started having problems with To Do after I started using Planner again after a couple of years. I had some derelict plans in there, which were not syncing properly anymore.

    POSSIBLE CAUSE:

    I noticed that To Do began generating an unusual amount of heat right after startup. This might be a sign of some sort of indexing operation, which may cause a memory leak if it's badly implemented. Upon a memory leak the app crashes or it's terminated by iOS or iPadOS, respectively. So in order to reduce the load on the badly implemented indexing operation, I deleted everything I don't need anymore.

    Note that deleting obsolete tasks without reinstalling the app does not necessarily work. Even that data is deleted on the server, there seems to be mess remaining in the application cache causing the app to crash over and over again. So it's imperative to clean the data on the server and delete the app from your target devices (iPhones and iPads) to get a clean slate.

    CLOSING WORDS:

    It took me about 2 weeks to figure this out, but up to now, To Do has not crahed for 4 days in a row. It's still a bit early to celebrate, but the indication is good.

    I hope this helps any other To Do users that are having crash issues, too.

    Cheers,

    Robert

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-19T07:42:32+00:00

    It seems many of us have almost identical issues. I had to delete the app from my macbook because it was stopping the machine working. On my newish ipad and newish iphone both w latest updates it just crashes constantly, usually after about 30 seconds. I can reopen it and carry on using it but it just does it again. I’ve used the app since Wunderlist and much of my life is stored in it. I use it to share tasks with family members on Android who have no issues with it. I cant change easily to another app. This has been going on for months now. Microsoft: please do something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments