Faulty 'Recent' document list in OneDrive, File Explorer and Microsoft 365

Anonymous
2023-12-04T11:38:15+00:00

I understand there is a bug that engineers are working on and that this 'bug' is a big worry for many of us, ie. I'm seeing a 'Recent' list (shows in my File Explorer and on OneDrive) which includes documents that I did not open recently, and gives wrong dates of when opened. My Microsoft 365 Word files are synced to OneDrive. I use Windows 11.

I came across an additional worry concerning this today. I opened my Microsoft 365 Word and found the faulty 'Recent' list there, too. I clicked on the latest item on the list (which I had, in fact, opened yesterday via Explorer), and I got a message warning me that the file was a potential security risk. This is the main file of a novel I am working on and am doing editing each day. I find I can still open the document via File Explorer with no such warning and the document did seem ok when I opened it this way, but is it safe to do so? I have a deadline to finish my editing and need assurance there is no security problem and that this 'Recent' list problem will soon be rectified.

I have only noticed the wrong 'Recent' list in the past week or two, but there are other threads about this, one I have seen goes back to October with people telling of this same issue. In a later thread (in November) we were told it's a known bug that is currently being investigated. Please can I have an update on when it is likely to be fixed. Meanwhile, are our files safe to continue accessing and working on?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-12T09:40:55+00:00

    I have same / similar issue.

    I use OneDrive to "sync" some SharePoint folders to my local machine, and if anybody modifies the file in share point it is synchronized to local machine and shows in "Recent List" in all Office app ... it is so annoying that I loose track of the actual file I was working ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-02T19:47:20+00:00

    Sounds like I am just now having this problem as well. I was so worried it was a virus or malware. But my software quarantined a couple things after scanning and it did nothing to stop the files showing up on “recent.” I can get it to stop showing up by unchecking the one for office.com but is it safe? I mean it’s not a virus that another computer could get from the OneDrive, right?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-10T22:08:47+00:00

    Jeff, I suffered with the issue until the next time Microsoft Office updated, then everything was back to normal. In my case it was about 3-4 days. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-31T16:04:58+00:00

    I was one of the posters back in March on this issue. Within a week to 10 days of my post, once Microsoft put out a new update, the matter was solved and recently opened files started showing up again. You had to recreate your list because it went from random, years-old files, to no files. Then as you used various files in the normal course of business, the accessed files are repopulated. All is good now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments