Office365 Abruptly Updated and New "Update License" Option Appears- Unsure What to Do

Anonymous
2024-02-02T06:59:02+00:00

when I logged on today, Office abruptly decided to automatically update itself which never happens; now when I open Word, there's a subtle new option called "Update License"

I can still open, edit, save, and create documents to my heart's content but this new option just exists now. I also manually updated Office on my laptop once I saw this "Update License" didn't exist there, and after it updated, this option appeared

is this just something that's happened? is it security-related or an annual thing or whatever else?

anyway I'm not sure what exactly I'm meant to do. I have my own Microsoft account and I use Office365 under my Microsoft account but I think it's under my mother's account/subscription, as like a Family

I'm nervous to try and "update the license" using my credentials in case it signs me into a fresh new account or logs me out, or something similar.

I'm not sure if I need to use my Microsoft account credentials with this "Update License" option, even if my account and Office subscription is managed under my parent's account

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-16T00:26:53+00:00

    Hi Don.

    Amusing.

    In the meantime I sent a message to the folks at Office Watch to see if they could provide any insight into this issue. I sent them screenshots, and mentioned the feature appears on both PCs and Macs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-01T05:13:29+00:00

    This is a new feature of Microsoft 365.

    If your Microsoft 365 subscription was updated - by adding or removing addons / products, the "Update License" button helps in syncing the new subscription status (instead of automatic sync over 72 hours). Use the feature only when a change is expected and not reflected in your device, (or if correct license info is not shown in Account tab)

    Refer to the FAQ in support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/update-license-button-29025197-58d9-4b17-acc1-99a45dabf330

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T23:44:41+00:00

    Thanks for your comments MedRoc, and the link to the FAQ. After reading the content of the Update License Button, I'm of the opinion that it's more relevant for users of the Microsoft Office 365 subscription product, rather than for users like myself who made a one-time, stand-alone purchase of the Microsoft Office for Mac product.

    I do not intend to make any add-on purchases or add any Microsoft "entitlements" to my non-subscription Office for Mac products that are on my MacBook Pro and iMac Pro that could trigger a need to update my 2 product licenses.

    I do keep my Office for Mac products updated as bug fixes or other issues are resolved and am current with the March 26, 2024 Version 16.83.2 (Build 24032318) release. I plan to stay current in this manner until the Office for Mac 2021 reaches end-of-life status. At that point in time, I'll plan to purchase the next one-time stand-alone Office for Mac product. If the only option at that time is for a subscription-based 365 product, I'll migrate to the equivalent product offered by Apple for the Mac product line.

    Lastly, every attempt I've made to go through the "Update License" process steps (as covered in that FAQ) on my 2 Macs has failed with either Error Code 44 or Error Code 29, despite removing and reinstalling the Office for Mac 2021 software, removing and reactivating the license and other time-consuming and extraordinarily frustrating efforts that were recommended by well-meaning Independent advisors on this forum. It's my opinion is that this "Update License" process is irrelevant for Office for Mac one-time purchasers such as myself.

    I've now concluded that the primary objective for the introduction of the "Update License" software coding "New Feature" was simply to ensure that users of the Microsoft 365 subscription products were kept honest, continuing to pay to use the 365 products on a contractual and ongoing basis, thereby insuring the MS 365 revenue stream into the future..

    FIN

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T01:53:53+00:00

    Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

    Update License Mystery Revealed on Office Watch!

    Article: What “Update License” means on Microsoft 365 menus

    https://office-watch.com/2024/what-update-license-means-on-microsoft-365-menus/

    “Update License” appears for all users. It does NOT mean there’s a problem with your Microsoft 365 plan or that you need to do anything. - Office Watch

    Read the full article for a detailed and simple explanation about the "Update License"... what it actually does, and when to use it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments