Office365 Abruptly Updated and New "Update License" Option Appears- Unsure What to Do

Anonymous
2024-02-02T06:59:02+00:00

when I logged on today, Office abruptly decided to automatically update itself which never happens; now when I open Word, there's a subtle new option called "Update License"

I can still open, edit, save, and create documents to my heart's content but this new option just exists now. I also manually updated Office on my laptop once I saw this "Update License" didn't exist there, and after it updated, this option appeared

is this just something that's happened? is it security-related or an annual thing or whatever else?

anyway I'm not sure what exactly I'm meant to do. I have my own Microsoft account and I use Office365 under my Microsoft account but I think it's under my mother's account/subscription, as like a Family

I'm nervous to try and "update the license" using my credentials in case it signs me into a fresh new account or logs me out, or something similar.

I'm not sure if I need to use my Microsoft account credentials with this "Update License" option, even if my account and Office subscription is managed under my parent's account

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T02:08:42+00:00

    Extra! Extra! Extra!

    Microsoft removes "Update License" from the File menu in March 2024 update: Version 2403 Build 16.0.17425.20138 in Windows version.

    I just noticed this today...

    The "Update License" command has disappeared from the File menu in the Windows version of Word, Excel, etc. The "Update License" button remains visible under Account, which is probably the best place for it.

    Image

    Whew!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T03:14:26+00:00

    Hi Rupertsland!

    Thanks so much for your update and good to know the Update License text was removed from the file menus in the Windows version. It still remains in the "About" menu dropdowns in Office for Mac Word, Excel and PowerPoint, which I just verified are at Version 16.83 (24031120). Wish we'd have known the facts about this "feature's" intent for benefitting the user community before it was deployed. "Whew" indeed!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T03:31:59+00:00

    Hi Don.

    You are welcome. I didn't check my mac laptop yet, but thanks for letting me know. There was an update to the 365 Office apps for Mac, which I installed a couple days ago. So, I will have a look.

    Btw, the Office Watch website also reports that Microsoft will be releasing the next version of the standalone Office for Mac... "later this year". It might possibly be branded as Office 2024 for macOS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T04:02:30+00:00

    Hey Rupertsland!

    I checked out that Office Watch website (I didn't know it existed and now have it bookmarked) and saw that info about the possibility of Office 2024 for Mac. I'm sure it will have a minimal number of improvements and I'll likely wait until the 2021 version reaches EOL before making a decision on a replacement. By then, the choices for software may be limited to subscription options, but hopefully Apple will continue to offer their equivalent apps included with their OS.

    Ciao!

    Don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-24T08:46:21+00:00

    why my licence is unlicesed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments