Office365 Abruptly Updated and New "Update License" Option Appears- Unsure What to Do

Anonymous
2024-02-02T06:59:02+00:00

when I logged on today, Office abruptly decided to automatically update itself which never happens; now when I open Word, there's a subtle new option called "Update License"

I can still open, edit, save, and create documents to my heart's content but this new option just exists now. I also manually updated Office on my laptop once I saw this "Update License" didn't exist there, and after it updated, this option appeared

is this just something that's happened? is it security-related or an annual thing or whatever else?

anyway I'm not sure what exactly I'm meant to do. I have my own Microsoft account and I use Office365 under my Microsoft account but I think it's under my mother's account/subscription, as like a Family

I'm nervous to try and "update the license" using my credentials in case it signs me into a fresh new account or logs me out, or something similar.

I'm not sure if I need to use my Microsoft account credentials with this "Update License" option, even if my account and Office subscription is managed under my parent's account

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-04T02:58:16+00:00

    HamAndHands,

    You're not the only one having this problem. I encountered it on both my '23 MacBook Pro and my '19 iMac Pro. In mid-January I started seeing the appearance of the "Update License" in the Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications. It hasn't affected my ability to use any of these apps but is more of an annoyance, since each of my two Office Home and Business 2021 for Mac software products are licensed to me and have been trouble-free since they were purchased in July and August 2023.

    I too feel there was a software bug introduced in a Microsoft Office update introduced in January 2024. I've spent many hours removing and reinstalling the Office Software, running the Office License Removal Tool and reactivating the software, all to no avail. The most recent suggestion was to uninstall the product and install an older version. That ran into some peculiar issues and did not fix the Error Code: 44 problem.

    I had posted to a couple of threads here on the "answers.microsoft" website, but decided to start my own thread to track my efforts and progress on the resolution of this error issue. Here's the link for that thread: Update License Error Code: 44 Issue. It's very interesting to me that you only had the issue on one computer, and then, after immediately after updating the software on your laptop, you began having the same problem there. In my opinion, that is proof that the Update License Error Code issue is triggered in the course of a software update from Microsoft. I'm so happy you documented that experience! After rereading your posting, and the subsequent replies from the advisors/respondents, one thing that is not clear to me is whether you're using Office 365 on a Mac or PC. Looking at RonBarker's reply, his recommendation includes windows and HP ProBooks. And the Office Home and Business product is listed as 2019 ro 2013. Those are no longer supported in the Macintosh environment. And if you are on a PC and getting the same "Update License" message, that means that it's a cross-platform problem and likely to have many, many users affected. That would certainly improve the chances for a timely resolution! Please let me know via a reply regarding whether you're PC or Mac, and Thanks!!!!

    Hopefully, as the number of Office users with this identical problem continues to increase, the responsible software engineers at Microsoft will be engaged in the fix that's required.

    Don in Ohio

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T13:12:30+00:00

    Okay. Just in case and it is a good idea anyway you could create a Recovery Code. Go to Advanced Security of your Microsoft Account (where you change passwords and setup two-Step verification. At the bottom of the page you can create a Recovery Code. Here is a direct link>https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional  You will need to sign in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T12:37:59+00:00

    it seems like a bug because on both my computer (which uses my credentials for Word) and my family laptop (which uses my mother's credentials for Word), I decided to click Update License and input the email address associated with their Office365/Microsoft accounts

    it did absolutely nothing. so I restarted Word and Office, and then even restarted my computer. nothing changed at all

    I'll leave it for a few days to see if the subscription is about to play up, but the sudden appearance of this Update License option, followed by the fact that it does literally nothing, seems to be a bug

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T07:52:56+00:00

    Hi HamAndHands Greetings! Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I will be happy to help. I am a user just like you and only trying to advice/ assist in the best possible way to resolve your issue.

    I understand your concern about the new "Update License" option in Word and your hesitation to use it due to your uncertain subscription situation. Here's what I can share to help:

    Possible Reasons for the Update License Option:

    Automatic Office Updates: While you mentioned Office doesn't usually update automatically, recent changes or specific settings might have triggered an update, introducing the "Update License" option. Subscription Renewal or Change: If your family's Microsoft 365 subscription recently renewed or underwent a plan change, this option might appear to ensure proper license activation. Potential License Issue: In rare cases, a glitch or error with your family's subscription can cause license validation issues, prompting the "Update License" option.

    What to Do: Gather Information:

    Check your family's Microsoft 365 subscription details. Look for confirmation emails or invoices to understand the plan type, validity period, and member accounts included. Ask your family member whose account manages the subscription if they recently made any changes or received renewal notifications.

    Explore Further: Try manual verification: Depending on your comfort level, consider carefully trying the "Update License" option with your Microsoft account credentials. Look for options to update within the same account you use for other Microsoft services. Remember: Only proceed if you understand the potential implications and have your family's consent if sharing their subscription.

    Clarity is Key: Having open communication with your family member regarding the Microsoft 365 subscription helps avoid confusion and unauthorized changes.

    Additional Tips: Before taking any action, back up your important documents stored in Word for peace of mind. If you choose to contact Microsoft support, be prepared to provide details like your family's subscription ID, your Microsoft account information, and any error messages you encounter. By gathering information, exploring options cautiously, and communicating openly, you should be able to resolve the "Update License" issue and continue using Word seamlessly. Good luck!

    Hope this helps and answer your question. Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. Kind Regards -Adedayo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T07:48:36+00:00

    Hello! Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community. The "Update License" option that you are seeing is related to the licensing of your Office 365 subscription. It is normal for Office to update itself automatically, and this option may have appeared due to a recent update.

    Regarding your concern about updating the license using your credentials, it is recommended that you use the credentials associated with the subscription to avoid any issues. If your Office subscription is managed under your parent's account, you may need to contact them to obtain the necessary credentials to update the license.

    If you are still unsure about what to do, you can contact Microsoft support for further assistance. They will be able to guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments