Why did Microsoft change the "Edit Links" to "Workbook Links" in the Queries and Connections tab?

Anonymous
2023-09-06T15:04:07+00:00

You used to be able to see if the workbook had any external links from the paper clip icon- if it were blue, you knew there were links. Now the "Workbook Links" icon always shows a blue paperclip, even when there are no links, forcing you to open the pane to see if there are really any links. Changing data source in "Edit Links" was so much easier with the old functionality. The new pane is much more difficult to navigate. Please change it back!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T12:53:58+00:00

    It is NOT easier. It is more complicated, because I always have to click to Browse! Before if I open all workbook before I open the excel what have links, I just refresh and shows that all sources opened. And all information linked in from the workbooks. Now this new panel not be able to work like "Edit link". So it is REALLY BAD DEVELOPMENT! My work become SLOWER!

    The developers are working with excel or just developing the UX?

    GIVE BACK THE "EDIT LINKS"! Or provide opportunity that which version I would to use!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-22T05:31:38+00:00

    My biggest thing about the pane relative to the old Dialog is I am a keyboard shortcut user & more & more MS is moving away from being able to do things without the use of the mouse/touch-pad. For long-time users who've developed the use of keyboard shortcuts, these constant changes greatly affect efficiency.

    Absolutely... I agree with you completely. Using mouse or trackpad is only slowing down my speed. What i used to accomplish earlier by the use of only the keyboard, now i take twice the amount of time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T15:45:08+00:00

    "Microsoft" and "Users will do whatever we say because they have no viable choice"

    Name a more iconic duo.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-15T13:53:26+00:00

    Same question from me - how I do I revert back Alt-E-K to be edit links...?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-06T02:35:57+00:00

    Dear James,

    Are there any plans to add the ability to sort the external links alphabetically in Excel for Mac? It so happens, in my line of work I have to deal with workbooks that sometimes have links to hundreds of files; finding and updating/replacing links is an insurmountable problem, and this essentially makes Excel for Mac unusable for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments