Why did Microsoft change the "Edit Links" to "Workbook Links" in the Queries and Connections tab?

Anonymous
2023-09-06T15:04:07+00:00

You used to be able to see if the workbook had any external links from the paper clip icon- if it were blue, you knew there were links. Now the "Workbook Links" icon always shows a blue paperclip, even when there are no links, forcing you to open the pane to see if there are really any links. Changing data source in "Edit Links" was so much easier with the old functionality. The new pane is much more difficult to navigate. Please change it back!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-06T16:27:33+00:00

    Hi James,

    "Can you tell us more details about what's missing/confusing/wrong with the Pane relative to the old Dialog? "

    • The pane in “Workbook links” does not appear to allow for multi-select of multiple sources that you want to take action on.  I see the option to “Break all”, but not the ability to choose just the links you want to break.  Unless I'm not seeing the option , it looks like you have to choose each source separately to specify the action you want to take. Same for “Open workbook”- looks like the pane makes you choose each source separately.  The “Edit Links” allow multi-select here for opening all sources at once.

    I used to be able to see 'at a glance' if all the links to a file were open, now there is no way to tell
    I can either 'refresh all', or 'break all', but not 'check if the link file is open or not', which is what I need to know
    I cant even find this out one file at a time!

    Image

    Only 'open', 'copy', 'change', or 'break'

    Please, please, please can someone help me to find the 'Status' information I used to have:

    Thanks in advance

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-09T17:50:12+00:00

    That's absolutely my opinion. Wasted time without any additional advantage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-09T08:30:11+00:00

    If I need to break more than one link and not all links, so, I have to break them one by one, which is wasting time.

    So, I need to select the link, then select "break link", then answer "Yes" to the dialog box, and repeat all of these transactions for each link!!

    In the old functionality, I was selecting all the links that I need to break in one action.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T20:26:00+00:00

    I've added the "edit Link" button to the ribbon but it is greyed out - s if there were no links. The new workbook links is awful. I receive many workbooks where I have litterally hundreds of links, and I need to go through and break all the ones with erros, or pointing to workbooks outside ofmy organization. Now the only option I have is break all, or go through them one by one !! HELP !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments