Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

Anonymous
2023-09-26T09:11:15+00:00

Hi all, if you have been getting this image/pop up

Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

We are pretty sure it is due to OneDrive.

What the issue is with it - we are not sure - any ideas on how to fix this, that would be great!

Once we find a fix, I will mark as solution so others can take a look and see

Thanks,

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-22T19:09:29+00:00

    **EDIT - Update ** - Explorer made a liar of me. It came back just after I posted the below


    This issue began for me 2 days ago. I had dozens of the same pop-ups overnight. I did a few things this morning, and the issue has not recurred today since. Here's what I did:

    The 2 processed described here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

    And the regedit (on HKEY_...lnkfile) in #5 described here:

    https://www.makeuseof.com/this-file-doesnt-have-app-associated-windows/

    Good luck! I hope it works for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-13T23:15:21+00:00

    Ugh, I have a brand new PC (not even a week old) and I just unlinked OneDrive because it was messing with my Sage Software and tbh it is so annoying. I now am getting 6 or these errors pop up with every single thing I do on here. I need this to stop right now because I can't afford to lose the time it is making me lose at work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-14T00:49:30+00:00

    number 4 worked for me too after I got tired of onedrive and uninstalled it

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-21T02:58:52+00:00

    My pop ups stopped after I uninstalled One Drive and unlinked my computer. Make sure you move all files you wanna keep before you uninstall. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more