Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

Anonymous
2023-09-26T09:11:15+00:00

Hi all, if you have been getting this image/pop up

Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

We are pretty sure it is due to OneDrive.

What the issue is with it - we are not sure - any ideas on how to fix this, that would be great!

Once we find a fix, I will mark as solution so others can take a look and see

Thanks,

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-23T08:26:14+00:00

    I have just had a phone call from a user asking what it is - it looks to be spreading more and more - surely this isn't a localised issue and there are more people with this?

    I would have thought Microsoft would be looking into this or even giving us a registry key to stop error pop-ups for Windows Explorer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-23T19:24:28+00:00

    I've had this happening on my machine intermittently. Today I've got a user reporting it as well. Following this thread to see if someone has an answer for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-24T15:45:21+00:00

    Funny enough, I've had this issue since 2021, just a few months after I got this laptop and had the office package installed. As far as I know, no other coworkers, which are all connected to the same One Driver server, have this issue. It maybe pops up once or twice a day at most, often times when it happens, three or four windows with this error show up.

    From what I remember, it's always given multiple errors, usually all within a few seconds of each other. It sounds like it's running a scan or check and getting this error on something but I feel like the amount of error windows that I see would have increased over time, which it hasn't..

    Hope this helps some!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-25T14:33:42+00:00

    I, too, have had my users report this issue. I cannot find anything in the task scheduler or event viewer that points me in the right direction. One thing I wanted to ask everyone else is, do you, by chance, have Adobe Acrobat w/ cloud sync licensed/installed? I'm not sure if that's a shared component of this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-25T16:29:57+00:00

    We are seeing this happen with 2 users in one of our client's offices. I just confirmed that the primary one that I'm looking at has a Personal and Work OneDrive account on their device, as well as Adobe Creative Cloud through the same work account. I'm not seeing any evidence of a cloud sync through Abobe other than the account showing in their File Explorer.

    The users did report noticing this issue a month ago when they installed Adobe and Bluebeam (line of business app) on their workstations.

    I will try and see if the other user's setup matches the first one's.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments