Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

Anonymous
2023-09-26T09:11:15+00:00

Hi all, if you have been getting this image/pop up

Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

We are pretty sure it is due to OneDrive.

What the issue is with it - we are not sure - any ideas on how to fix this, that would be great!

Once we find a fix, I will mark as solution so others can take a look and see

Thanks,

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-22T06:56:39+00:00

    Interesting observation, thank you; and I hope it gives Microsoft some direction to research. It's clearly not the only cause, as I have no such modifications, and I assume that most users also do not make such modifications to the default right-click menu/ most users do not use optimization applications.

    Interestingly, I have not seen the issue arise in some time (at least a couple of months? more?).

    similar issue, when i press WIN+E, it does not launch explorer but this popup error message.

    the cause is that i disabled some right-click menu items in an optimization app. When restored these changes, problem solved.

    the related items are:

    • open in new process
    • open in new tab
    • open in new window

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments