Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

Anonymous
2023-09-26T09:11:15+00:00

Hi all, if you have been getting this image/pop up

Explorer.EXE This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

We are pretty sure it is due to OneDrive.

What the issue is with it - we are not sure - any ideas on how to fix this, that would be great!

Once we find a fix, I will mark as solution so others can take a look and see

Thanks,

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-18T12:34:18+00:00

    This problem just started with me today.

    But I only have one Microsoft Personal 365 account with OneDrive sync turned on for my laptop. I don't have any business accounts logged in.

    Any solutions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T23:10:01+00:00

    Did reinstalling Reader from the company portal resolve the issue for the other user?

    Disabling Cloud Sync in Creative Cloud cleared up the error message for a bit, but it has since returned.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-02T03:15:16+00:00

    We are having this issue, one of my colleagues noticed some Acrobat Errors in the event viewer at about the time the Explorer.exe error popped up so she uninstalled Acrobat that had been installed from the Creative Cloud app and got the customer to download Adobe Reader from Company Portal instead. When the customer logged into Adobe Reader it automatically updated to Acrobat and apparently the issue has disappeared. We've someone else with the issue now so I'll try it. By the way, both are very heavy users of the OneDrive app as they have many gigabytes of data synching between SharePoint and their local machine / file explorer. My theory is that Explorer.exe has been around since Windows 95 which as we all know preceded OneDrive & SharePoint. Personally I think we should turn off SharePoint synching at our organization because it's a pain trying to explain to non-technical users how it all works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-25T18:04:36+00:00

    I do NOT have Adobe cloud sync on any computer of the several where I am seeing this Explorer.EXE problem (indeed, I do not have any Adobe products installed at all on one of the affected computers).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-25T16:43:25+00:00

    I, too, have had my users report this issue. I cannot find anything in the task scheduler or event viewer that points me in the right direction. One thing I wanted to ask everyone else is, do you, by chance, have Adobe Acrobat w/ cloud sync licensed/installed? I'm not sure if that's a shared component of this.

    I do run creative cloud and usually have a few documents opened in Acrobat Pro but I have cloud sync disabled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments