"Looks like this invitation link is not working"

Anonymous
2023-11-08T06:12:00+00:00

I sent my friends an invitation to share my Office 365 account (5 users). When they opened an email and clicked link it's showed "Looks like this invitation link is not working, You'll need contact the person who invited you and ask them to shar the subscription with you". But some can join invitation link. What's happening with some e-mail?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For education | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-11-24T17:43:06+00:00

In response to the following error I have figured out the solution:

"Looks like this invitation link is not working

You’ll need to contact the person who invited you and ask them to share the subscription with you"

Microsoft does not know the answer and neither does their Bing AI since this is an unresolved bug.

The problem will occur if the person you are attempting to share the subscription with is already a member of your family safety group.

While logged in to the account that is attempting to send the share go to https://account.microsoft.com/family/home

You will likely see the person in your list of family twice. One of them will be pending invitation.

Remove the person from your family group (not the one pending invitation). Once they are kicked out go ahead and accept the invitation for them using their account.

This should now work and they will be back in your family group. You will likely have to change any family sharing settings in Windows after all this and you may need to sign out of MS desktop apps and back in (for the added user).

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T20:36:07+00:00

    I have an update regarding this issue and its cause when removing from the family group doesn't work and also, for now, the only workaround.

    The short version: if the account with which you are trying to share the subscription has a *previous expired subscription* on it then sharing will not work and your options are a different or a new account.

    The exact quote from the support agent I received was as follows:

    "It seems that you have an old subscription on this account that has been expired. With that, I'm afraid that with the current sharing feature, you won't be able to share it with that account, as they should have no subscription history in order for the subscription sharing to work. I know that it may not be convenient to you; however, this is the only viable option that we have. Rest assured, Microsoft is aware of it, and hopefully in the future it will change. For now, please create a new Microsoft account or use an existing account with no subscription."

    They at least seem to be aware of the problem, but it is such a basic concern it's shocking it has not been addressed already long ago. Guess we can just hope they fix it soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T06:38:43+00:00

    I am having the same issue. It is unbelievable. I have already two support requests. One was "solved" because I had a personal subscription at that time and the other one was "solved" because they added another account to the subscription, but not the account I wanted to be added. And now I am again without access to my e-mails...

    What annoys me the most is the way these bugs are treated and solved. And the length of the chats with support. And the fact that nothing was solved actually, and I have ended up trying to solve the issue for myself.

    Previous support requests: #7041141340 and #7039145243.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T06:35:44+00:00

    I am having the same issue. It is unbelievable. I have already two support requests. One was "solved" because I had a personal subscription at that time and the other one was "solved" because they added another account to the subscription, but not the account I wanted to be added. And now I am again without access to my e-mails...

    What annoys me the most is the way these bugs are treated and solved. And the length of the chats with support. And the fact that nothing was solved actually, and I have ended up trying to solve the issue for myself.

    Previous support requests: #7041141340 and #7039145243.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-27T11:45:42+00:00

    Thank you, this worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments