Error: The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error

Anonymous
2023-01-28T14:48:37+00:00

When I am typing in Word, I will hover the mouse over the toolbar and spin the wheel and as it goes back to the right toolbar (Home for example from view) I get this error: Error: "The last time you opened BasicSimple.dotx, it caused a serious error. Do you still want to open it?"

I do not understand why it keep popping up only when i spin the scroll wheel when i am trying to switch between toolbar menus. Any advice?

Moderator's note: BasicSimple.dotx is a built-in [Quick] Style Set.

[Quick] Style Sets and Word Themes in Microsoft Word

[Quick] Style Sets

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-07-24T15:55:25+00:00

Can you please give me a step by step description of what you did. I am the one who created this thread and so far nothing I have tried or seen here has worked. I still get the same error.

Hi sidscrat,

Your Normal.dotm file should be at this locaition: C:\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

Rename Normal.dotm to Normal.dotm_old or something similar. After that, restart the computer.

That process seemed to fix the issue for some of us.

James

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-25T13:12:54+00:00

    Hey sidscrat - was the solution for you to re-create normal.dotm or to move/delete the basicsimple.dotx template?

    Best regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-25T12:50:03+00:00

    But there was nothing in the Startup folder. I couldn't find the extension. Sorry I seem to have missed it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-07-25T12:14:24+00:00

    I'm glad you got it sorted.

    Note that I did suggest renaming the Normal template in February (see earlier in this thread). For some reason, it didn't work for you back then.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-25T10:54:17+00:00

    FINALLY! I started this thread many months ago and up until now nothing worked. Your answer seems to have done the job! Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments