I am trying to delete a OneNote Notebook. I cannot seem to achieve it.

Anonymous
2023-03-27T13:35:35+00:00

I have OneNote for Windows 10. Over the course of its life it is getting filled with Notebooks that I do not require. How can I delete them?

I am told: "To delete a OneNote notebook, do the following: Go to your OneDrive account and navigate to the notebook that you want to delete (it's likely stored in Files > Documents). Right-click the name of the notebook, and then select Delete."

This doesn't work because OneDrive is empty.

Alternatively I am told: "In File Explorer, navigate to your Documents (or My Documents) folder, and then double-click OneNote Notebooks."

This doesn't work because the OneNote folder in my Documents is empty.

I am out of options.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-31T01:00:26+00:00

    Same issue. I deleted the unwanted notebooks from EVERY single place I could find them AND deleted all of my recycle and trash bins. On my desktop, OneDrive on my desktop, OneDrive/sharepoint, OneNote Online. I finally found one more delete button after reading through all the posts and opening OneNote through office online and clicking on recent. After choosing recent, I right clicked on the file and low and behold a "Delete" button with a "New" icon next to it. I click on that... and a pop up asks if I'm sure...yes!...another pop up. "Can't delete this item. This item doesn’t exist. It may have already been deleted." You gotta be kidding me. I know I deleted the item, but it is still there!!!! It did have a hide button also, so I'm just gonna try that and see if it will go away from all the places I keep finding them.

    This all really started when I tried to use OneNote on my iPad. I'm a windows laptop user, but want to take notes on my iPad and it's been a nightmare learning how to upload and sync the correct notebooks, because I apparently just kept making copies and nothing would sync properly. I gave up a year ago. Trying again, but first want to delete all the junk ones I can find on my PC. I love the app, but this is ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-12T18:25:52+00:00

    Right click:

    Microsoft nonsense: doesn't work on Home, only on My Files. (I think they changed this recently, not sure).

    Recent list:

    Only in OneNote from Office, not in OneNote for Windows 10 you seem to use.

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-11T11:13:15+00:00

    I am afraid my version of OneNote (OneNote for Windows 10) does not have an App Launcher image or name in the upper-left corner. I also tried moving to the newest version of OneNote, but that didn't work either.

    It doesn't seem that Microsoft are devoting enough manpower to OneNote. I am very fond of it, find it very useful, use it every day - but it is alarming that it is not full functional, given these strange clunky bugs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-22T11:02:34+00:00

    If using OneDrive, OneNote shortcuts cannot be permanently deleted using File Explorer. Instead, after closing the notebook in OneNote, delete the shortcut via OneDrive Online.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-27T14:37:08+00:00

    Hi

    I'm Taiwo and I'd be happy to help you with your question. In this Forum, We are Microsoft consumers just like yourself.

    I would you to check the Recycle Bin if the files are there and clear it or you can follow the steps below:

    1. Open OneNote and navigate to the Notebook you want to delete.
    2. Right-click on the Notebook and select "Close This Notebook" to close the Notebook.
    3. Right-click on the Notebook again and select "Delete" from the context menu.
    4. A confirmation message will appear. Click "Delete" to permanently delete the Notebook.
    5. If the Notebook is stored in OneDrive or SharePoint, the Notebook will also be removed from those locations.

    I hope this helps ;-), let me know if this is contrary to what you need, I would still be helpful to answer more of your questions.

    Best Regards, Thank You

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments