A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
I don't have a Mac so this is not an option for me.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me with 2 xlsx files that have been corrupted.
I use iCloud to store my documents, I finished working on the 2 files in question on my MacBook in the morning and then later in the day successfully viewed them (not modified) on my iPhone using the Office 365 app.
When I came to open the files again, they are unable to be opened on any device using either numbers or excel. I have tried on my iPhone, MacBook and a Windows 11 PC. The error message is:
"Excel cannot open the file 'ABCDEF.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."
I have tried changing the file extension to xls. I've tried to open and repair the files using Excel on Windows however that hasn't worked either. I've used a couple of trial versions of recovery software and the preview shows the first sheet is there but the remaining sheets aren't which are vital to the spreadsheet.
Does anyone have any ideas or experience of this issue? I've noticed the timestamp of last saved has changed to the date and time I opened them on my phone. I'm not sure why Office365 resaved these files without me making changes or asking me.
Thanks
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I don't have a Mac so this is not an option for me.
Hi Dennis,
Yes, it works, but this is a bug that either Msft or Apple need to fix, else no point inn 365 for future...
Rgds.
Having the same issue. Pls fix
I too ran into this exact issue editing an Excel spreadsheet on my iPad/iPhone. I normally edit the spreadsheet on my MacBook. What I'm so displeased about with iCloud is the lack of restoring a file. Had my spreadsheet been on SharePoint/OneDrive, I could have chosen to restore to a previous version. Now I'm making a monthly backup of my file and avoiding opening any Excel spreadsheets on iOS.
It only happens when you change/update an excel file from an icloud location (to icloud).
As a mac user, and didn’t make changes to the file, you can still download it from icoud to your local drive on your mac and use it as intended. So no corrupted files when using excel on a mac without ciloud.
Don’t know if it has something to do with IOS version etc..