Remove "Sign in to turn on offline access to your lists" OneDrive notification after removing work account that is no longer used

Anonymous
2022-10-23T14:14:08+00:00

I have recently removed a work account from my Windows 11 installation in my desktop and laptop. While the process has been smooth, there is however a leftover notification that appears during Windows start-up on both devices:

From OneDrive: "Sign in to turn on offline access to your lists"

When clicking on it, it attempts to log into the work account that I have already removed! Unfortunately I am unable to disable this notification from appearing every time I start the PC or laptop. I even attempted to unlink all accounts from OneDrive, and cleared all credentials in the hope that this notification no longer appears; however, after linking back my personal account, it still appears on Windows start-up.

How can I make sure that this notification no longer appears? Are there any places where the work account email is still cached? Can those entries be removed so that this is solved?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-06-12T11:03:10+00:00

Remove on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run the key Microsoft.Lists that points towards C:\Program Files\Microsoft OneDrive\23.071.0402.0001\Microsoft.SharePoint.exe

Image

It's only been a couple of start ups, but this gets my vote as the simple solution, nothing else needed. I knew someone would come up with it, brilliant, thank you for fixing this annoying problem.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-17T12:56:44+00:00
    1. Follow steps 1-4 of @JonRHerring's instructions above. At this point, your OneDrive and SharePoint processes should be stopped.
    2. Go into C:\Users\PROFILENAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneAuth\accounts
    3. Find the account ID for the business account that keeps syncing. For me, there were two files in there. One was for my personal account and one had information for my long-deleted (over 1 year) business account. They are JSON files, so you can open and read them. Save this ID and the login of the account found within the JSON file.
    4. <etc>

    Excellent find! This OneAuth folder must be where Office keeps a reference to all Microsoft accounts that have ever been signed in, and/or this folder consistently gets forgotten by the cleanup procedure when you remove an account.

    After following your steps, I did find two more references to the ID of my old account left in the Registry:

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CDP\ - LastKnownOSBuild<ID>

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync&lt;ID>\ - no values

    Btw, to find file system references to your account ID, I recommend Everything Search. It instantly found all files and folders where the name contained my ID, even hidden.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-13T03:40:16+00:00

    Remove on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run the key Microsoft.Lists that points towards C:\Program Files\Microsoft OneDrive\23.071.0402.0001\Microsoft.SharePoint.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-04T07:05:16+00:00

    Didn't work for me :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-13T07:56:24+00:00

    Hear hear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments