Why did Personal Vault authentication change?

Anonymous
2022-10-10T17:31:28+00:00

It used to be that when I accessed my Personal Vault, it would ask me to authenticate with Microsoft Authenticator. That suddenly disappeared, and now it gives me the options of authenticating with a fingerprint or my PIN. I don't want my PIN to work to get to my Personal Vault. Other people use my PIN to access my machine. I don't want to use the same authentication to get to my personal vault. I want that to go to Microsoft Authenticator so that it is different.

Why did it change, and how can I change it back?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-10T18:45:55+00:00

    Hello Dave984,

    So sorry for the inconvenience.

    Kindly try to re-setup your Microsoft Authenticator as a two-step verification for your personal vault, using the link below, and see if this restores your authenticator for personal vault.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/set-up-an-authenticator-app-as-a-two-step-verification-method-2db39828-15e1-4614-b825-6e2b524e7c95

    I hope this helps.

    Regards, Yusuf

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-12T20:27:53+00:00

    Yusuf,

    Thank you for your prompt reply. However, that link refers to work or school accounts. I have a work account, but I also have a personal Office subscription. It is the vault for my personal account that I want to authenticate like it did before with Microsoft Authenticator.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-20T21:20:04+00:00

    Does anyone have an answer for this question? For all intents and purposes, it means that the Personal Vault is no longer using two factor authentication.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-04T11:54:55+00:00

    I have the same question - though I notice that if you click on "Sign in another way" there is an option to send a request to phone which uses the authenticator app - I'd like this to be the default as it previously was and I also do not want access to be granted using the pin.

    "Because you're accessing sensitive info for ******@hotmail.com, we'll send a request to your phone to verify your identity."

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-11T15:12:27+00:00

    I have this issue on my Windows 11 machine as of a couple of weeks ago. Without me making any changes I now have only local options like fingerprint or pin. This machine has both Onedrive personal and Onedrive Business on it. I removed Onedrive and and reinstalled Onedrive personal only. The external authentication worked again, Onedrive requesting authentication through the app. As soon as I add Onedrive business Onedrive personal reverts to local authentication with no means to choose proper external 2FA.

    I have the same Onedrive personal and Onedrive Business setup on two Windows 10 machines, and they both have the personal vault authentication working properly.

    I hate having to reinstall OneDrive as I like my defaults to be local and as with so many MS things MS assume you like things to suit them rather than you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments