"Could not lock file" with Access build 14701.20248

Anonymous
2021-12-14T19:16:08+00:00

I had a client today who could not open their shared backend database. The system displayed the error “Could not lock file”.

I determined that Access was trying to open the file in exclusive mode, even though none of the normal methods to open the file exclusively were being applied:

• The File / Options / Client Settings / Advanced / Default open mode was set to Shared

• No command line /excl  was being used

• The user had Full Control permissions for the shared folder containing the database

• Creating a new test database opened it exclusively, so that no other user could open it.

• The newly created test database could not be reopened if another user opened it,

• Several other users could simultaneously open the new test database without a problem.

The user had been using the database for normal operations for several days prior to the problem.

The user’s system has updated to build 16.0.14701.20248 today.

All other test users had build 16.0.14701.20226.

I rolled the user's Office installation back to 16.0.14701.20226 by using the Office Deployment Tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841 

The problem was solved.

Can anyone else confirm that this problem exists with the latest build of Access?

Neil Sargent

Smart IT Ltd

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-21T08:52:36+00:00

    Hello Shane,

    I can confirm this behavoir on two freshly installed systems. I've applied the semiAnnual-Channel. On Installation, it was version 13801.21050. I've upgraded to 13801.21092 on both systems. I've also checked the Versions of acecore.dll 16.0.13801.21092 (modification date: 2021-12-21 09:08, size 1,69MB) Even after a reboot the system persists.

    Some thing that I've noticed: In some cases, the Lock-Files are not removed after closing the database and they are all empty (0 Bytes)

    If you need further information about our environment, send me a notice.

    regards, Philipp

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. George Hepworth 23,120 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-12-16T16:11:10+00:00

    Keep an eye on Daniel's blog and on this MS page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-15T19:41:11+00:00

    Having same issue here. Small business with only five users, but one suddenly could not use Access database unless all other users were not using it. Noticed when that user was connected the locking file was 0db and empty. Search led me to this thread which led me to checking the software versions and confirm issue is the same. Have not reverted the users version yet, but assume it would fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-15T15:47:08+00:00

    If you refer to my link https://www.devhut.net/access-lock-file-issues/ I am keeping all the information up to date there including a list of the culprit updates & builds.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Tom van Stiphout 40,216 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2021-12-14T23:01:29+00:00

    This is why in our company we recommend Office 365 users are on Semi Annual Enterprise channel. Let others deal with the bugs; we have a business to run!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments