Office 365 subscription

Anonymous
2022-01-30T01:02:30+00:00

My computer died. Dead, finito, nada mas. I bought a new computer (16 MB RAM!). I thought I could just download office from the web, enter my subscription key and all would be good to go. Well, that ain't happenin'.

What I ended up with is a copy of office from the official Microsoft website which with each document or spreadsheet I open displays the bar across the top begging me to buy office 365, which I already own. It also errors a lot and will not work with my Dragon VR (which, with my disabled left hand making it impossible to type well, is a true bummer when writing my business letters in Word).

Is it true that you only have to buy office once in a lifetime? I got the first one from a friend who was a Microsoft affiliate as a birthday present so never had to worry about money at all. I currently have five tabs open with instructions on how to correct my situation. They all say I need to disable office on my old computer but that one is, as mentioned, a memory in the biosphere by now. So my question is…

How do I get office 365 on my new machine without having to purchase it for $99 a year?

Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1466, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. Processor – Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16.0 GB RAM.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T00:44:09+00:00

    Wouldn't turn things off until you have your MS 365 subscription. If you do, your OneDrive account will revert to a free 5GB account when it expires.

    One other tidbit of honesty, am not really familiar with multiple subscriptions when it comes to recurring billing especially since right now you have a "trial" subscription. To me, it seems odd that <recurring billing> is an all or nothing kind of thing for actual purchased items.

    You may want to pose that question to Microsoft Support. If it were me and I wasn't sure, would make sure I have a copy of everything on a local hard drive just to be on the safe side but I'm an overly cautious kinda guy when it comes to stuff related to my data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T02:03:44+00:00

    Saying you don't know is a very honorable answer. I've gone far with the line "I don't know but I guarantee I will do everything possible to find out".

    Our hope is that a lot of this will shake out once a week you are this icon situation and I purchase the 365. Will find out where I stand then on the billing issues.

    I do have a quick question for you simply out of curiosity, a wondering this wandering wanderer has always wondered. What is the difference between "One Drive" and "The Cloud"? My imagining is that One Drive is a kind of link to Microsoft Cloud Services in order to allow for syncing between changes made on my computer to the cloud. Does this make any sense at all?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T02:06:48+00:00

    "Once a week you are"?? I have no idea what Dragon thought I said. A lot of this will shake out once the icon situation is cured and I purchase the 365. Just for clarity

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T02:15:45+00:00

    >>

    What is the difference between "One Drive" and "The Cloud"?

    <<

    These days, the term "The Cloud" is a generic type of term used by a lot of people for a whole lot of different things. For example, many people don't want to have their email stored "in the cloud" not realizing that pretty much every server out there is "in the cloud" except for companies that have what are called "on-prem" (in premises) email servers.

    OneDrive is just one of many file services that allow saving / accessing / sharing data on servers that can be accessed from anywhere by anyone (with the right credentials). There are a ton of "cloud" file services out there - OneDrive, DropBox, iCloud being among the best known and usually integrated into apps (i.e. apps on an iPad as a for instance).

    >>

    My imagining is that One Drive is a kind of link to Microsoft Cloud Services in order to allow for syncing between changes made on my computer to the cloud. Does this make any sense at all?

    <<

    Makes perfect sense. If you "share" a file with someone else, they can access the same file. Aside from "sharing" an article, it can also allow multiple people to work on the same file/project without having to constantly send an "updated" file to everyone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T05:25:33+00:00

    Simply, thank you. Once again you made it very clear and understandable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments