Office 365 subscription

Anonymous
2022-01-30T01:02:30+00:00

My computer died. Dead, finito, nada mas. I bought a new computer (16 MB RAM!). I thought I could just download office from the web, enter my subscription key and all would be good to go. Well, that ain't happenin'.

What I ended up with is a copy of office from the official Microsoft website which with each document or spreadsheet I open displays the bar across the top begging me to buy office 365, which I already own. It also errors a lot and will not work with my Dragon VR (which, with my disabled left hand making it impossible to type well, is a true bummer when writing my business letters in Word).

Is it true that you only have to buy office once in a lifetime? I got the first one from a friend who was a Microsoft affiliate as a birthday present so never had to worry about money at all. I currently have five tabs open with instructions on how to correct my situation. They all say I need to disable office on my old computer but that one is, as mentioned, a memory in the biosphere by now. So my question is…

How do I get office 365 on my new machine without having to purchase it for $99 a year?

Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1466, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. Processor – Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16.0 GB RAM.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T21:14:32+00:00

    I think I will just wait. There is another little issue with the subscription I will talk to you about after this is complete. I don't want to bring it up now as it may confuse the issue and I have until February 28 to figure it out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T21:19:21+00:00

    Actually might be an idea to ask about it in the off-chance it does have something to do with the current issues (not that I can see how).

    Just to confirm, <Microsoft 365> isn't in your <Settings> --> <Apps & Features> list - correct? (Am assuming it's not since then you should have 2 app icons in the Start menu)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T22:05:30+00:00

    Your assumption is correct sir. In fact, I had to icons in the Start menu before Iran the office uninstall.

    The question is…For the free trial of the family version of 365, my auto renew is on. I wish to turn it off. However, when I tell Microsoft to turn off the auto pay, it also turns it off for my recurring $1.99 charges for cloud services, which I want to keep. I just thought, right now, that I could probably just cancel my 365 free trial subscription which would then retain the auto pay for the cloud. My minds a little foggy right now, just had my monthly meeting with my Dr. and it always kind of tires me out so I'm sorry if I'm not being clear but I think you understand my dilemma.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T22:14:43+00:00

    Are you referring to the additional OneDrive space? You do realize that you get a 1TB OneDrive account with MS 365 - right? Really no need to keep paying for the extra space as long as you use the same Microsoft Account. Your account will be automatically upgraded to a 1TB account - not going to lose anything.

    As for cancelling the trial, if you purchase '365 Personal before the trial expires, there's nothing more you need to do.

    (wish the answer to your icon issue was this easy <g>)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T00:16:48+00:00

    Well, no sir, I did not realize I get one terabyte of space with office 365. That is a cool thing to know. So, I should turn off recurring billing for everything and live off one terabyte of land. There's plenty of game available there and a River runs through it so it will be just fine.

    So thank you very much and I await your 12 Hour friend...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments