Office 365 subscription

Anonymous
2022-01-30T01:02:30+00:00

My computer died. Dead, finito, nada mas. I bought a new computer (16 MB RAM!). I thought I could just download office from the web, enter my subscription key and all would be good to go. Well, that ain't happenin'.

What I ended up with is a copy of office from the official Microsoft website which with each document or spreadsheet I open displays the bar across the top begging me to buy office 365, which I already own. It also errors a lot and will not work with my Dragon VR (which, with my disabled left hand making it impossible to type well, is a true bummer when writing my business letters in Word).

Is it true that you only have to buy office once in a lifetime? I got the first one from a friend who was a Microsoft affiliate as a birthday present so never had to worry about money at all. I currently have five tabs open with instructions on how to correct my situation. They all say I need to disable office on my old computer but that one is, as mentioned, a memory in the biosphere by now. So my question is…

How do I get office 365 on my new machine without having to purchase it for $99 a year?

Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1466, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. Processor – Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16.0 GB RAM.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-01T08:06:10+00:00

    One thing I forgot to mention

    If you use the Uninstall tool to remove Office instead of the normal Control Panel process, it will remove Outlook profiles so you would need to configure the email accounts again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-01T13:26:49+00:00

    Quick question… Are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, and Access the only software I need to uninstall? Are there any other office applications which I don't use and should go as well?

    On other OS's, like ones used on smartphones, you may have the option of installing individual applications.

    .

    On Windows and Max OS's, "Office" install/uninstall is an "all or nothing" process.

    .

    If you are having Office bundle install problems, then normally yes, simply uninstalling any existing / multiple "Office" bundle installations is enough.

    .

    Normally, uninstalling the "Office" bundles is enough. But if you are switching between 32 and 64 bit installations you have to also clear up other standalone "Office" elements like older "viewer" apps, Access Apps, Visio and Project which are not part of any "Office" bundle.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T05:30:13+00:00

    Me again. I ran the office uninstall and it went perfectly except…

    Settings and the start menu both still says everything is there. I started uninstalling manually and then realized, hey, something's not right here… I better ask Karl. All of the buttons in the start menu that say therefore office products actually open an Edge window. I do not use Edge at all, I'm a Chrome kind of guy.

    Is it safe for me simply to delete Edge? Is it possible for me to delete Edge? Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T05:36:02+00:00

    I am homebound disabled with a stroke and cannot type so I use Dragon for 100% of my typing. "Therefore" (they're for), though I try desperately to teach my Dragon, she still makes a lot of typos. I try to edit the best I can…Please excuse…

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T05:56:59+00:00

    #1 - Re: Edge

    While there are sites that provide instructions on how to remove Edge, would seriously advise against it given how so many things are tightly intertwined with it so I'll just provide the party line on this one

    Why can't I uninstall Microsoft Edge?

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-e...

    *** as an aside, I used to be a diehard Chrome person until the current Chromium version was released. Now Edge is my go to browser and use Chrome as my secondary browser. Have no regrets switching to Edge as my primary

    #2 - Re: Start icons and Settings

    Not sure I entirely follow but if you still Office (or Microsoft 365) listed in Settings, would certainly perform uninstalls from there.

    Once you've done that, if you still have Office icons (as in app specific icons i.e. Word, Excel etc) - what are the options that show when you right click on them?

    #3 - Re: "I try desperately to teach my Dragon, she still makes a lot of typos. I try to edit the best I can"

    Please don't waste your time doing that - nothing that I wouldn't understand unless Dragon completely muddles up to the point of being unintelligible

    Speaking of Dragon, have you verified with the Nuance folks that the version you're using is compatible with the current versions of Office - or more specifically '365 given that's what you're planning to end up with?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments