Office 365 subscription

Anonymous
2022-01-30T01:02:30+00:00

My computer died. Dead, finito, nada mas. I bought a new computer (16 MB RAM!). I thought I could just download office from the web, enter my subscription key and all would be good to go. Well, that ain't happenin'.

What I ended up with is a copy of office from the official Microsoft website which with each document or spreadsheet I open displays the bar across the top begging me to buy office 365, which I already own. It also errors a lot and will not work with my Dragon VR (which, with my disabled left hand making it impossible to type well, is a true bummer when writing my business letters in Word).

Is it true that you only have to buy office once in a lifetime? I got the first one from a friend who was a Microsoft affiliate as a birthday present so never had to worry about money at all. I currently have five tabs open with instructions on how to correct my situation. They all say I need to disable office on my old computer but that one is, as mentioned, a memory in the biosphere by now. So my question is…

How do I get office 365 on my new machine without having to purchase it for $99 a year?

Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1466, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. Processor – Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16.0 GB RAM.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-01T05:47:30+00:00

    I've cut this damn board three times and it's still too short! :-). Looks like it's just the Microsoft Professional so I will proceed with your recommendations. I am very, very impressed with the clarity and thoroughness of your responses, Karl, and once we're done here, if there's anything I can do as far as writing a recommendation or anything for you just let me know.

    Great reminder – – go slow! Actually, better to say "go smooth". Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. If you're late for work, SLOW DOWN! In 30 minutes you will be 10 minutes early, works every time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-01T05:53:30+00:00

    >>

    Looks like it's just the Microsoft Professional so I will proceed with your recommendations

    <<

    Yep, you should be good to go by just uninstalling both Office '2016 and Microsoft '365

    >>

    if there's anything I can do as far as writing a recommendation or anything for you just let me know.

    <<

    Yep - there is one thing. Just get everything working the way you want/need - all I need <g>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-01T05:58:46+00:00

    Quick question… Are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, and Access the only software I need to uninstall? Are there any other office applications which I don't use and should go as well?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-01T06:03:24+00:00

    Uninstalling Office will remove all the apps - it's now an all or nothing install / uninstall process so there's nothing else to worry about.

    While this isn't really necessary, once you have uninstalled everything, would suggest you reboot your machine so everything starts clean. All the icons in the Start menu should be gone. If they are, next stop on this train ride is getting your MS 365 Personal subscription at which point you can focus on the things you actually want to get done

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-01T07:55:22+00:00

    I see. I just glanced through the link and realize now I was looking at the uninstall through the Control Panel. I see now that there is a good old, comfortable to the touch button to push to run a routine. I love it when Microsoft does it for me but only at my specific behest. I got it now so no need to reply to this one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments