Office 365 subscription

Anonymous
2022-01-30T01:02:30+00:00

My computer died. Dead, finito, nada mas. I bought a new computer (16 MB RAM!). I thought I could just download office from the web, enter my subscription key and all would be good to go. Well, that ain't happenin'.

What I ended up with is a copy of office from the official Microsoft website which with each document or spreadsheet I open displays the bar across the top begging me to buy office 365, which I already own. It also errors a lot and will not work with my Dragon VR (which, with my disabled left hand making it impossible to type well, is a true bummer when writing my business letters in Word).

Is it true that you only have to buy office once in a lifetime? I got the first one from a friend who was a Microsoft affiliate as a birthday present so never had to worry about money at all. I currently have five tabs open with instructions on how to correct my situation. They all say I need to disable office on my old computer but that one is, as mentioned, a memory in the biosphere by now. So my question is…

How do I get office 365 on my new machine without having to purchase it for $99 a year?

Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1466, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. Processor – Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16.0 GB RAM.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-30T02:12:13+00:00

    Hello stevied234

    Hi, I'm Karl and will be happy to help you today.

    The answer to your question depends entirely on what edition of Office you were using on your old computer as listed in your Microsoft Account under Services/Subscriptions (you can use the following link to get there)

    https://account.microsoft.com/services/

    #1 - If you were using the subscription version of Office (called Microsoft 365) and it is expired, then unfortunately, you will need to subscribe to it again. If you were/are the only making use of it, you would just need <MS 365 Personal> ($69.99/yr) versus <MS 365 Family> ($99.99/yr)

    If it hasn't expired, then you can simply download/install it from your Microsoft Account. Every current version of Office is associated with a Microsoft Account

    #2 - If you were using any version of Office that includes a year in the name (i.e. Office 2016 / Office 2021 etc) then that is a perpetual (one-time purchase) license that can only be used on one computer but it can be transferred to another computer. If this applies to you, let me know, and will expand on that.

    Microsoft 365 Comparison

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/b...

    #3 - Regarding your question about MS Word / Dragon VR, suggest to post that specific question in a new thread selecting <Word> as the category. There are experts here far more familiar with Word then I am but who might overlook this thread given the subject line and category selected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-30T01:44:18+00:00

    Your 365 "Product Key" is one time use. After you use it to activate your subscription, on the new computer you just have to log in to the MyAccount site and find the "Install" button. That's all it takes.

    .

    Here are the MS instructions:

    Install Office- Download and install or reinstall Microsoft 365 or Office 2021-2010 on a PC or Mac

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/download-and-install-or-reinstall-microsoft-365-or-office-2021-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658
    .

    On this page on the left side of the page, pick the appropriate Office version. Near the top of the page pick the appropriate tab PC or Mac.
    .

    If you are reinstalling Office, you have already redeemed a product key, or you are installing Office at work or school and know you have a license, then go to the section sign in to download and install Office.
    .

    However, if this is the first time you're installing Office, you may have some pre-installation steps to do first. Expand the Learn more section below for more info.
    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments