Office 365 subscription

Anonymous
2022-01-30T01:02:30+00:00

My computer died. Dead, finito, nada mas. I bought a new computer (16 MB RAM!). I thought I could just download office from the web, enter my subscription key and all would be good to go. Well, that ain't happenin'.

What I ended up with is a copy of office from the official Microsoft website which with each document or spreadsheet I open displays the bar across the top begging me to buy office 365, which I already own. It also errors a lot and will not work with my Dragon VR (which, with my disabled left hand making it impossible to type well, is a true bummer when writing my business letters in Word).

Is it true that you only have to buy office once in a lifetime? I got the first one from a friend who was a Microsoft affiliate as a birthday present so never had to worry about money at all. I currently have five tabs open with instructions on how to correct my situation. They all say I need to disable office on my old computer but that one is, as mentioned, a memory in the biosphere by now. So my question is…

How do I get office 365 on my new machine without having to purchase it for $99 a year?

Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1466, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. Processor – Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16.0 GB RAM.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-30T19:50:39+00:00

    Image

    That highlighted button, "Office", does work but but it adds the extra step of having to select the software needed rather than just using the taskbar icon (which I got from the desktop icon installed when I downloaded Office from the Internet), still does not work with Dragon VR and every time I restart my machine I get this error…

    Steve:

    The orange "Office" tile you highlighted in the start menu is for the relatively new "Office" <cr>applet MS started including in Windows 10 about a year ago. If "you" (obviously not you specifically, but other people reading this reply) don't have it you can get it free from the MS Store.

    .

    It's funny, for the last 30 years I've been saying, in frustration, "there is no such thing as an "Office" app. Finally there is ...

    Unfortunately, it's use is crippled because MS has not bothered to explain how it works, specifically the 3 modes it has for launching apps.

    .

    So, the key point for you is, if you do launch the crapplet, make sure it shows that you are signed in. If not, click on the button to sign in to 365. Then it will work as expected.

    .

    The orange "O" tile launches the (new) "Office" <cr>applet.

    .

    .

    Unlike older versions of Office, 365 does not create an "Office Folder" in the start menu. Each application is listed separately. This is why the orange Office app tile in the start menu is so misleading.

    .

    Search for the apps by name, ie Word, Excel etc. the start menu.

    I do see you have the "small" size Office apps in the "Productivity" group on the Start Menu Pane, Between the "Office" app tile and the "Mail" tile. Clicking on any of those buttons will launch your desired app

    You can also "Pin" the individual Office app tiles to the task bar if you prefer to work that way

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-30T07:32:17+00:00

    Stevied, FIRST you you need to uninstall the free trial version of Office 365 on your new computer to get rid of the prompt to purchase Office 365. THEN on your new computer all you need to do is sign into your Office Account , which was created when you first setup your Office 365 and reinstall your Office 365 from there. Sigh in with the same Microsoft Account that you used to purchase office 365 from the Microsoft Store OR used with a Product Key purchased from a third party vendor. Sign into your Office Account here: https://account.microsoft.com/services

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-30T07:09:42+00:00

    #1 - The only active subscription shown in our screenshot is for OneDrive paid monthly. if you had an active Microsoft 365 subscription,

    #2 - The <Office> icon in the Start menu will only start the <online> versions of Office apps accessed using your browser. - in short, that extra step you're referring to does not launch any Office desktop apps.

    #3 - Don't know what you have installed in terms of Office but seriously doubt it is a Microsoft 365 subscription which is only supported by the <counterfeit license> error in your 2nd screenshot. If this a legitimate subscription version of Office, it would simply tell you that it is not <activated> - not that it's <counterfeit>

    To see what is installed in terms of Office, go to

    #4 - <Start> menu --> <Settings> (the <gear> icon --> <Apps> --> <Apps & Features>

    #5 - Scroll down the list and look for any Office version (i.e. Office 2016, Office 2019 etc). If you have the subscription version installed, it will be listed as <Microsoft 365>

    Can't tell you what you should do other then there's no way to get rid of the <counterfeit> message unless you install a legit copy of Office - whether using a perpetual (one-time purchase) license or subscription. Perpetual licenses are not cheap

    Office Home & Business 2021

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p...

    Office Professional 2021

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p...

    Office Home & Student 2021 (does not include Outlook)

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p...

    versus

    Microsoft 365 Comparison

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/b...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-30T06:39:21+00:00

    BTW, my subscription expires on December 5, 9999 :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-01-30T06:32:56+00:00

    Thank you for the clarity of your response. My account shows I have a subscription to "Microsoft 365". It appears to be active. Here is a screenshot…

    However, Microsoft Office does not show up in my start screen…

    That highlighted button, "Office", does work but but it adds the extra step of having to select the software needed rather than just using the taskbar icon (which I got from the desktop icon installed when I downloaded Office from the Internet), still does not work with Dragon VR and every time I restart my machine I get this error…

    The Word and Excel in my taskbar open the office product I got off the Internet. Do you think I should uninstall that? If you look close you can see that I have that "Office" button in my taskbar (quick start bar). Rather than just having that one button and then needing to select which software to use, I would much rather keep an icon for Word, Excel and PowerPoint on my taskbar.

    So I guess my only question now is: Will all this be corrected if I uninstall my "scab" version of Office 365 and use the "Office" button with the extra step. Would this get rid of the advertisement every time I open a Word document or Excel spreadsheet and the error message at start up?

    Thank you and I will discuss the Dragon situation with the other group when we are done here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments