Office 365 subscription

Anonymous
2022-01-30T01:02:30+00:00

My computer died. Dead, finito, nada mas. I bought a new computer (16 MB RAM!). I thought I could just download office from the web, enter my subscription key and all would be good to go. Well, that ain't happenin'.

What I ended up with is a copy of office from the official Microsoft website which with each document or spreadsheet I open displays the bar across the top begging me to buy office 365, which I already own. It also errors a lot and will not work with my Dragon VR (which, with my disabled left hand making it impossible to type well, is a true bummer when writing my business letters in Word).

Is it true that you only have to buy office once in a lifetime? I got the first one from a friend who was a Microsoft affiliate as a birthday present so never had to worry about money at all. I currently have five tabs open with instructions on how to correct my situation. They all say I need to disable office on my old computer but that one is, as mentioned, a memory in the biosphere by now. So my question is…

How do I get office 365 on my new machine without having to purchase it for $99 a year?

Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1466, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. Processor – Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16.0 GB RAM.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T02:03:44+00:00

    Saying you don't know is a very honorable answer. I've gone far with the line "I don't know but I guarantee I will do everything possible to find out".

    Our hope is that a lot of this will shake out once a week you are this icon situation and I purchase the 365. Will find out where I stand then on the billing issues.

    I do have a quick question for you simply out of curiosity, a wondering this wandering wanderer has always wondered. What is the difference between "One Drive" and "The Cloud"? My imagining is that One Drive is a kind of link to Microsoft Cloud Services in order to allow for syncing between changes made on my computer to the cloud. Does this make any sense at all?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T00:44:09+00:00

    Wouldn't turn things off until you have your MS 365 subscription. If you do, your OneDrive account will revert to a free 5GB account when it expires.

    One other tidbit of honesty, am not really familiar with multiple subscriptions when it comes to recurring billing especially since right now you have a "trial" subscription. To me, it seems odd that <recurring billing> is an all or nothing kind of thing for actual purchased items.

    You may want to pose that question to Microsoft Support. If it were me and I wasn't sure, would make sure I have a copy of everything on a local hard drive just to be on the safe side but I'm an overly cautious kinda guy when it comes to stuff related to my data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T00:16:48+00:00

    Well, no sir, I did not realize I get one terabyte of space with office 365. That is a cool thing to know. So, I should turn off recurring billing for everything and live off one terabyte of land. There's plenty of game available there and a River runs through it so it will be just fine.

    So thank you very much and I await your 12 Hour friend...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T22:14:43+00:00

    Are you referring to the additional OneDrive space? You do realize that you get a 1TB OneDrive account with MS 365 - right? Really no need to keep paying for the extra space as long as you use the same Microsoft Account. Your account will be automatically upgraded to a 1TB account - not going to lose anything.

    As for cancelling the trial, if you purchase '365 Personal before the trial expires, there's nothing more you need to do.

    (wish the answer to your icon issue was this easy <g>)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T22:05:30+00:00

    Your assumption is correct sir. In fact, I had to icons in the Start menu before Iran the office uninstall.

    The question is…For the free trial of the family version of 365, my auto renew is on. I wish to turn it off. However, when I tell Microsoft to turn off the auto pay, it also turns it off for my recurring $1.99 charges for cloud services, which I want to keep. I just thought, right now, that I could probably just cancel my 365 free trial subscription which would then retain the auto pay for the cloud. My minds a little foggy right now, just had my monthly meeting with my Dr. and it always kind of tires me out so I'm sorry if I'm not being clear but I think you understand my dilemma.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments