Cannot open any more databases error 3048

Anonymous
2022-02-03T09:53:13+00:00

Over the years I have developed several applications in Access for my personal use. In the last two days I have suddenly encountered the error message "Cannot open more databases" with each application. I have re-installed Microsoft 365 several times and compacted and repaired my databases - all to no avail. I am wondering if something has recently changed in Microsoft 365 Access to cause this problem. Whatever the cause I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T21:12:17+00:00

    It isn't a Windows 10 vs 11 thing. It isn't a form vs subform thing.

    It is an update that caused this issue. The solution, as explain in the link I provided earlier, is to either rollback your Office build or, simply create a trusted folder for both your front-end and back-end folders (you'll also have to delete orphaned msaccess.exe processes and ldb/laccdb lock files).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T20:46:01+00:00

    IslaDogs (Collin Riddington) has some very useful utilities.

    My question now " is this Windows 11 related?"

    or a combination of 365 AND Windows?

    anyone having this issue on Windows 10?

    and is anyone finding this more of a problem with subforms / continuous forms or just all forms?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T12:50:22+00:00

    As I am using MS Access 2016, I wanted to add a note on this behavior.

    In the my previous screenprint you can see that there are eight records.

    I was able to create the first four records before receiving the can't open anymore database error.

    Access could only be closed using Task Manager to kill the program.
    Then I reopened the form, and was able to add another four records before receivng the can't open anymore database error.

    If you look carefully, at my screenprint you will see that MS Access is dropping 2 connections every second, which somewhat explains why I am only able to create four records at a time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T12:36:37+00:00

    Okay, so now I am even more perplexed, and pleased too, as the 'Cannot open any more databases' problem has stopped. I have set the trusted folder for the front and back ends, repaired Office 365 for the third time, checked all my code for spurious 'CurrentDb' objects not being set to Nothing (I found two instances and corrected them before recompiling and saving) and have rebooted my pc again. After all that the problem has not reoccurred so have I sorted it, I am not sure, but am happy to plod on with a working environment now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T11:47:44+00:00

    OK on further reflexion I've had a few more thourghts.

    Access does cache SQL Server connections but maybe not Access BE connections.

    For example, If I have a main menu that is unbound.

    If the BE is Access and I return to the main menu, which is unbound, with no other forms open, or other users connected, the BE's laccdb is gone (or it should be) and I can call a proc that compacts the BE. Hence the connection must be dead. Although this issue suggests that these connctions may be accumulating which is out of character.

    If the BE is SQL server then the connection is cached and I can't, for example, restore the SS BE until I fully close down MS Access to totally to clear the cached connections.

    So obviously the two do not behave the same.

    GIven that we have had similar issues like this late last year (OK it was jut last month, but that is officially last year) see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/error-in-access-when-opening-a-database-on-a-network-file-share-6cbc1560-62c2-46e7-9980-d079a46f5acc

    and we have had other issues with network connections in the last month or so involving Windows updates wihich may or may not be related

    https://nolongerset.com/bug-alert-unc-alias/

    And then throw in the "Monster Bug" issue that the Access Team have been working on for a few months, It sems likely that there are multiple factors obsfuckating [sic] network and ODBC connnections and my private and professional life generally.

    So in summay - 'I've got nothing"! I'm pretty much clueless. Except to say - Don't subscribe to the Current Channel. pick the semi millenim channel or whatever the current binomial monemclature is for the whimps version, In fact Turn off automatic updates and only install builds manually that you know they are safe. I use a batch file to do this but you may be able to use one of the other methiods that did not work for me like the 365/Office Install tool or Group Poilcy Editor.

    My Batch file (remember those) allows me to install a specific build known to be safe. It goes a little something like this...

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13801.20266

    please feel free to provide me with furhter advice that may be offensive, condescending, useful, or not at all useful but nevertherless entertaining.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments