Is there a way to disable Modern Comments in Word for Mac?

Anonymous
2021-12-29T08:36:43+00:00

Is there a way to disable Modern Comments in Word for Mac and never to the classic commenting format?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-12-29T10:06:32+00:00

Hello, Camille

Confirm if I understand you want to disable modern comments on Word for Mac.

To disable modern comments, follow these steps.

  • Open Word and click on the Word in the menu on the top of the screen.
  • Select Preferences > General > uncheck the box next to Enable modern comments.
  • Restart Word application.

Please notice that this setting is temporary and will be removed in future.

I hope I could help you to disable modern comments. Feel free to post back to us if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Igor

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2022-03-08T13:10:13+00:00

Note that contributors in this user-to-user forum can't make decisions on behalf of Microsoft.

To let Microsoft know that you do not like the modern comments, post feedback from within Word. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-i-give-feedback-on-microsoft-office-2b102d44-b43f-4dd2-9ff4-23cf144cfb11#platform=macOS.

EDIT: Some versions of Word will let you revert to the classic comments. Use the "Enable modern comments" check box. (It has been reported in the TechCommunity at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/word/bd-p/Word that perpetual licenses of Word may have the modern comments but not the option to turn them off.)

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-04-29T22:43:55+00:00

I use Word on a Mac. The instructions for disabling Modern Comments are different for PC and Mac. Here they are for Mac. I found these by Googling "How to disable Modern Comments." The instructions for PCs are equally easy to follow. My understanding is that the ability is temporary and that MS is going to make modern comments the normal. We must complain and fight to keep classic comments.

To disable modern comments, follow these steps.

  • Open Word and click on the Word in the menu on the top of the screen.
  • Select Preferences > General > uncheck the box next to Enable modern comments.
  • Restart Word application.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-02T22:21:58+00:00

    Thank you Igor. This was a bad decision to make the posting comments the default. If I want that option, I will use Google Docs. The default should be the classic, so we don't alert someone, accidentally, about a comment. Although this might be useful for real time collaboration, it is not useful most of the time. On the next update of the software, this feature should be turned off as the default.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-30T05:54:24+00:00

    Thank you SO much Stefan. IMHO 'modern' comments is the worst 'improvement' I have ever seen to any software application. I just had an appallingly messed up Zoom meeting trying to work through a draft contract with a business partners and the modern comments were a disaster. The way they float around and you're never sure which text goes with which comment is atrocious, so I was so relieved to see your post and to be able to revert to classic comments. Thank you again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments