How can I customize the context menu in Word 365? I want "cut" and do not want "Review Selection"

Anonymous
2022-03-03T15:02:19+00:00

Microsoft has abruptly added "Review Selection in Editor" to the top of the Context Menu in Word.

I can't select all, right-click, and land on "Cut," which is what I want.

"Review Selection..." may be perfectly helpful, but I don't want it at the top.

Please tell me there is some way to customize this menu so that I can have Cut on top like always.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-20T18:40:55+00:00

I don't really know why this thread would be closed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-customize-the-context-menu-in-word-365/09292fb3-fec8-4a69-99e7-7570878f2658?page=3

unless it would be that Microsoft and the Moderators here don't like to hear criticism about their products??

[Moderator's note: I unlocked it and merged this to the end.]

Anyway, as that thread was never answered and apparently the issue is an annoyance for more than one user:Opening a new blank document (based off normal template) and running this code does seem to exterminate the pesky menu command:

Sub RemoveContentMenuItem()

Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl

Dim oCB As CommandBar

  CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate

  Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")

  For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls

     If oCtr.Caption = "Review selection in &Editor" Then

       oCtr.Delete

     End If

Next

Set oCB = Nothing

  Set oCtr = Nothing

End Sub

Be sure to save the Normal template changes when you quit Word

Install/Employ VBA Procedures (Macros) by Greg Maxey

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-21T18:35:21+00:00

    Charles,

    I think eliminating this one "Search the menus" is out of our reach. As you probably know, there are 34 controls on the command bar. If you delete 34 to 2 in reverse order, what is left is just the "Search the menus" box. If you delete 34 to 1 in reverse order, nothing is left and nothing is displayed. If you just delete the first index or 1, then the menu does not appear to be changed.

    I am pretty sure that 1 is "Text and Predictions" as your results show and this "Search the menus" is outside the grasp of VBA and an internal mechanism of the command bar. Just another example of silly kids tinkering with things that aren't broken and frustrating people's lives.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-21T17:33:50+00:00

    Hi Greg,

    I ran with the following:

    Debug.Print oCtr.Caption & " " & oCtr.index & " " & oCtr.ID & " " & oCtr.Type

    What I got was:

    Text &Predictions 1 34158 10
    Review selection in &Editor 2 27964 1
    Cu&t 3 21 1
    &Copy 4 19 1
    &Paste 5 22 1
    &Expand/Collapse 6 25040 10
    &Properties 7 13366 1
    R&emove Content Control 8 13464 1
    &Go to Comment 9 34045 1
    Reply To Com&ment 10 6228 1
    Delete Co&mment 11 1592 1
    Resolve C&omment 12 22960 1
    &Font... 13 253 1
    &Paragraph... 14 779 1
    B&lock Authors 15 17839 1
    &Who Is... 16 1729 1
    &Translate 17 34004 1
    &Define 18 33990 1
    Searc&h 19 25536 1
    S&ynonyms 20 30475 10
    &Proofing 21 27791 1
    Re&write Suggestions 22 33490 1
    &Read Aloud 23 27323 1
    Tran&slate 24 7021 1
    &English Assistance 25 14453 1
    View &Source 26 14602 1
    &Additional Actions 27 22577 1
    Hide &Pictures by Comments 28 25361 1
    Open Co&ntact Card 29 16627 1
    &Hyperlink... 30 1576 1
    New Co&mment 31 1589 1
    People &Near Me 32 34042 1

    This is the menu:

    Obviously, they are not all displaying.

    I assumed that the caption for the first item "Text &Predictions" was the one for the Search the Menus box. I note that it and Expand & Collapse and Synonyms are of type 10.

    However, when I ran the code to remove "Text &Predictions" the menu was unchanged.

    (I have predictive text turned off wherever I can, so perhaps this command is for that.)

    I will be checking in Word 2021 as well to see if I have that menu.

    If you can suggest any other property I could check, I will.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-21T17:13:38+00:00

    Thanks, Charles. I appreciate your help.

    Not sure what Microsoft's mechanisms are (is that an email), but I'll be happy to leave feedback with anyone at the company who actually listen and get things done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-21T17:11:18+00:00

    No promises (I don't have that on my menu). Run this and see if you can determine the caption if it has one (You will have to display the Immediate Window):

    Sub GetCaption()
    Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl
    Dim oCB As CommandBar
    'Make command bar changes in template
    CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate
    Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")
    For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls
    Debug.Print oCtr.Caption
    'Make a note of what the caption appears to be.
    Next
    Set oCB = Nothing
    Set oCtr = Nothing
    End Sub

    ... Then run the other procedure using the caption found.

    Hi Greg,

    I ran similar code before I said that the search menus box does not have a caption.

    I tried the first caption listed (which I did not recognize) and removed something else (that I did not need) from the menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments