OneDrive for Mac on Big Sur

Anonymous
2020-11-17T12:19:07+00:00

Hello everyone,

Since I've updated to Big Sur, OneDrive is eating a lot of resources. The vent of my Macbook is constantly running...

I've seen earlier discussions with other OS versions, however all tipps did not help (reset/reinstall/reset via terminal etc..).

Any ideas?

Cheers

Phil

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-11-25T07:00:43+00:00

Hi All,

We are really sorry for the performance on OneDrive for Mac after you upgrade to latest Mac OS Big Sur, here is a summary for the issue with the suggestion that works for some members. We get information that the related developer team of OneDrive is working on fix and improvements to make sure OneDrive work well on Big Sur, Please keep your OneDrive up to date.

Issue Description:

OneDrive is taking up a lot of resource on Mac when syncing after upgrade to Mac OS Big Sur.

Environment:

OneDrive For Mac

Suggestion:

To make sure there are no compatible issue between OneDrive and Mac OS Big Sur. Please make sure OneDrive is up to date. You may update OneDrive by methods below:

Download standalone package( Download OneDrive for Mac (standalone .pkg) - Version 20.169.0823.0008 (October 16, 2020)

Update OneDrive to 20.169.0823 from Apple Store

For more information: OneDrive release notes

Additionally, please also turn off Anti-virus softwares on your Mac, as some users report the issue could be related to them. To check if the issue caused by other programs on MAC, please preform Mac Safe Mode: Apple Support article: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Regards,

Clark

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-01T00:16:00+00:00

My problem was Avast. Any network filter such as anti-virus or LittleSnitch don't seem to be working well with Mac OS Big Sur yet. For me, Avast was blocking my gmail IMAP servers on Mail app and stopping my files from syncing on onedrive, dropbox etc..

For anti-virus un-install, dropping the application icon in the bin alone may not be enough to completely remove it. Follow the developer’s instructions for full un-install. For my instance, I just googled un-install Avast and followed the instructions and after I restarted the computer, onedrive and my emails started working flawlessly again.

Hope it helps!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-07T11:09:45+00:00

    Not sure if this may help, but has anyone tried rebuilding the Spotlight index at all?

    https://osxdaily.com/2012/01/17/rebuild-spotlight-index/

    A colleague had a similar issue and this fixed it for him

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-07T13:32:16+00:00

    I have tried all of the below solutions, but alas, OneDrive still killing Big Sur.  Posting so I can follow this thread, in hopes of a real fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-07T13:42:12+00:00

    I have tried all of the below solutions, but alas, OneDrive still killing Big Sur.  Posting so I can follow this thread, in hopes of a real fix.

    Uninstall any anti-virus or malware protection. When I uninstalled mine, it started to connect and sync as normal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments