Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Take 2:
Oops, looks like RonB's reply disappeared while I was replying to it. Here is the link I mention below:
************************
Thanks for the link.
I'm going to split hairs in the wording they used.
Yes, if you set up Windows with a "microsoft account" it will most likely be automagically passed in when you start the Office activation process. If you setup a Windows "local" account it can't do that. BUT the article also says
<snip>
... or choose to skip, and complete the activation at a later time.
If you did not complete the subscription during the initial setup, you can activate Office 365 Personal using the following steps:
...
- When prompted, enter your Microsoft account login and password,
</snip>
Nothing in the article says you MUST use the same email account as you used for Windows. It says if you do not have an account you can create one, "any" email account.
.
I even found the additional link at the bottom of the reply (in wayback machine), but it said exactly the same thing.
Nothing in the link you provided changes my mind. Nothing in it says that they buyer of the computer MUST be the activator of the subscription. It just assumes that to be the case.
A verbal contract is as good as the paper it is written on ...
don't know who said it, but I think it applies here...