To use Dictation, you need internet connection. Please make sure your connection is working.

Anonymous
2020-07-07T20:22:25+00:00

Hi

Users are getting the subject message when trying to use Dictate in Office 365 E3 subscription.

The internet is ‘working’, apps signed in with O365 accounts so there is seems to be either a security profile setting, proxy filter or firewall issue. A lot of searching and I found very little documentation on this message, and certainly cannot find a definitive answer as to what/if Dictation requires certain firewall ports open nor what security profile setting to check in GPO which may apply. 

The following TechNet article suggested reviewing O365 Org Settings and Privacy but anything relating to Speech seems fine.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8111bb05-c674-4c43-a841-cae849b6a064/office-dictate-word-quotto-use-dictation-you-need-internet-connectionquot-specific?forum=Office2016ITPro

These options are managed by the organisation but where do I look in the Admin portal to enable Dictate?

Any pointers welcome.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-31T02:58:45+00:00

    I had the same trouble in Office 365 Personal. Here's a weird solution. Close the document you are working on and open a new one, even a template. Now start dictation. It worked for me going this route. I reopened my document that gave me the initial trouble, and it worked fine then.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-31T18:53:48+00:00

    Hi,

    I'd like to use the Dictate feature, but I cannot make sense of the instructions:

    1. Sign in to your Microsoft account using Edge, Firefox, or Chrome.
    2. Go to Home > Dictate. First-time users will be prompted to enable microphone permissions.--

    When I sign in using Firefox, I see no "Home," and so I can't find Dictate.

    Can someone please advise?

    Thanks,

    Susan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-31T19:22:54+00:00

    When I sign in using Firefox, I see no "Home," and so I can't find Dictate.

    Did you open a program like Word? HOME is not found on the contents splash page, only when you open an app like Word, Power Point, OneNote, etc. Dictate, then, is a microphone logo found on the right side of the menu bar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-31T20:55:08+00:00

    Thanks. However, what's the purpose of opening the Microsoft account page in Firefox? I don't see that that changes anything when I then open Word. And when I do, I see nothing under Home.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-31T20:57:34+00:00

    Oh, I now see it over to the right. 

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments