To use Dictation, you need internet connection. Please make sure your connection is working.

Anonymous
2020-07-07T20:22:25+00:00

Hi

Users are getting the subject message when trying to use Dictate in Office 365 E3 subscription.

The internet is ‘working’, apps signed in with O365 accounts so there is seems to be either a security profile setting, proxy filter or firewall issue. A lot of searching and I found very little documentation on this message, and certainly cannot find a definitive answer as to what/if Dictation requires certain firewall ports open nor what security profile setting to check in GPO which may apply. 

The following TechNet article suggested reviewing O365 Org Settings and Privacy but anything relating to Speech seems fine.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8111bb05-c674-4c43-a841-cae849b6a064/office-dictate-word-quotto-use-dictation-you-need-internet-connectionquot-specific?forum=Office2016ITPro

These options are managed by the organisation but where do I look in the Admin portal to enable Dictate?

Any pointers welcome.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-23T18:11:30+00:00

    Hi, I'm getting the same issue and am completely non-techy. I just want to keep using the Dictation in Outlook and Word. It sounds like it's a firewall issue but is that what has been determined yet? If, so is there instructions on where I would look (I'm assuming the firewall is with my ISP) and how to fix it? 

    Thanks for the help,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-24T16:33:28+00:00

    Hi, I'm getting the same issue and am completely non-techy. I just want to keep using the Dictation in Outlook and Word. It sounds like it's a firewall issue but is that what has been determined yet? If, so is there instructions on where I would look (I'm assuming the firewall is with my ISP) and how to fix it? 

    Thanks for the help,

    Rick 

    Hey Rick! Just to confirm, you are getting the issue on your personal and not company device where an admin may have blocked it? When you try dictation, you for sure do have an internet connection but have the same error? Feel free to email me more about your situation [see my profile] and we can try to figure this out as the rest of this thread was aimed for admins. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T14:06:20+00:00

    I have the SAME EXACT issue.

    However, a twist - dictation in POWERPOINT works fine - click on dictate > get red dot on white microphone > start talking.

    In WORD, the system tray says that Word is using the microphone, but the mic remains blue, does something for a couple of seconds, and then throws the internet connection Indian grammar error.

    I've cleared out all Office settings, rebooted, etc. - and still have the error.

    Also:

    • Dictation in Office Online (via browser) works
    • Regular dictation through Windows 10 works.
    • On another user account - same machine - Word dictation does work.

    So this is absolutely an ISOLATED ERROR and ISSUE with Word (or Windows configuration), and not a single person at Microsoft has a clue why.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T16:29:01+00:00

    I have the SAME EXACT issue.

    However, a twist - dictation in POWERPOINT works fine - click on dictate > get red dot on white microphone > start talking.

    In WORD, the system tray says that Word is using the microphone, but the mic remains blue, does something for a couple of seconds, and then throws the internet connection Indian grammar error.

    I've cleared out all Office settings, rebooted, etc. - and still have the error.

    Also:

    • Dictation in Office Online (via browser) works
    • Regular dictation through Windows 10 works.
    • On another user account - same machine - Word dictation does work.

    So this is absolutely an ISOLATED ERROR and ISSUE with Word (or Windows configuration), and not a single person at Microsoft has a clue why.

    Hello and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.  Could you please submit feedback via Help > Feedback in the ribbon or by clicking the Smile in the top right of your screen?  This will give us diagnostic information that can help us understand what may be going on.  Please include #DictationInternetIssue so that I can easily locate the feedback, and include an email address if you'd like me to follow up with you privately.  

    Thank you,

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T16:51:25+00:00

    Thanks John. I did feedback earlier, but ultimately an online repair (reinstall) fixed it. 

    Then it broke the other user on same machime, but i can live with that.

    OH - and the office removal tool is completely unusable on Windows 10 due to security. Running as admin, disabling Defender, disabling firewall, booting in safe mode - all do not work. This is a CERTIFIED MICROSOFT TOOL.

    OH2 - Microsoft support does not have “20H2” as a valid version. That wasted 5 minutes arguing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments