To use Dictation, you need internet connection. Please make sure your connection is working.

Anonymous
2020-07-07T20:22:25+00:00

Hi

Users are getting the subject message when trying to use Dictate in Office 365 E3 subscription.

The internet is ‘working’, apps signed in with O365 accounts so there is seems to be either a security profile setting, proxy filter or firewall issue. A lot of searching and I found very little documentation on this message, and certainly cannot find a definitive answer as to what/if Dictation requires certain firewall ports open nor what security profile setting to check in GPO which may apply. 

The following TechNet article suggested reviewing O365 Org Settings and Privacy but anything relating to Speech seems fine.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8111bb05-c674-4c43-a841-cae849b6a064/office-dictate-word-quotto-use-dictation-you-need-internet-connectionquot-specific?forum=Office2016ITPro

These options are managed by the organisation but where do I look in the Admin portal to enable Dictate?

Any pointers welcome.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-24T20:28:39+00:00

    I have exactly the same issue with dictation on Word. This has been around for a year pls fix!!!

    PS Feedback service needs a big rethink. Can't paste into the block so have to type #DictationInternetIssue . Also can't tick the screenshot option until I have dismissed the error message . 

    I am on a private laptop with all the latest updates and no proxy.

    Same connection works on MS with my husband's Mac.

    Pls fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-01T14:27:03+00:00

    I'm on version 2102 and have the same problem.  Powerpoint works correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-14T19:18:58+00:00

    If this would help....

    My Office Dictate worked fine until today. I had fibre installed today and switched over to my new ISP. Immediately Dictate began showing this message "to use Dictation you need an internet connection...", while my internet was working, of course, and actually much improved. Reading through these answers I simply closed Word (365) and restarted it and it was fine. I'm not suggesting this is a cure-all, but it seems the techies are still scartching their heads. Phew, glad I'm sorted...

    All of the best!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-09T16:21:04+00:00

    Did anybody have any luck with this. I am experiencing the same issue for my remote desktop clients.

    Works fine on local pc's but on remote we get the 'To use Dictation, you need internet connection' error. Powerpoint works fine as does Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-08-04T22:12:56+00:00

    Exact same problem, started a few days ago. Dictation works fine in Word, just not outlook. Works fine on a second computer on the next desk. Both running 365 and Win 10.

    Interestingly, the WindowsKey+H works as a workaround. I can start that in outlook and it works fine. So obviously this has nothing to do with the quality of the internet connection.

    Interestingly, the computer that dictation won't work in was used by me at a hotel last week, on the hotel's wifi. I wonder if somehow that computer has it in its head that the internet connection isn't right.

    (Obviously I have tried rebooting, etc.; no help)

    I can't understand how a huge company like MS lets this kind of nonsense happen!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments