To use Dictation, you need internet connection. Please make sure your connection is working.

Anonymous
2020-07-07T20:22:25+00:00

Hi

Users are getting the subject message when trying to use Dictate in Office 365 E3 subscription.

The internet is ‘working’, apps signed in with O365 accounts so there is seems to be either a security profile setting, proxy filter or firewall issue. A lot of searching and I found very little documentation on this message, and certainly cannot find a definitive answer as to what/if Dictation requires certain firewall ports open nor what security profile setting to check in GPO which may apply. 

The following TechNet article suggested reviewing O365 Org Settings and Privacy but anything relating to Speech seems fine.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8111bb05-c674-4c43-a841-cae849b6a064/office-dictate-word-quotto-use-dictation-you-need-internet-connectionquot-specific?forum=Office2016ITPro

These options are managed by the organisation but where do I look in the Admin portal to enable Dictate?

Any pointers welcome.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-08T17:54:14+00:00

    I am receiving the same error message about needing internet connection. I have switched connections (I have two), tried an external microphone, both suggested when I googled this issue, but to no avail. I am on a personal PC, but my outlook is associated with my company. Help please. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T20:32:05+00:00

    Just to level set, this was my experience (my issue was dictation in Word; I *was* on the FAST ring - more on that in a minute):

    1. Dictation in WORD worked CORRECTLY on macOS (two computers), iPhone, and iPad
    2. Dictation worked in POWERPOINT on same computer/my user
    3. Dictation in Word worked fine for ANOTHER user account on the same Windows 10 machine (odd, right?)

    I deleted registry keys, logged out, and did a ton of other stuff. Nothing worked.

    After hours of working with Microsoft support, I gave up.

    Ultimately I did an ONLINE REPAIR, which...

    ... appears to have reverted me to the CURRENT channel (which is now, currently, build 13231.20262 - but wasn't when I had the issues)

    For now I'm staying away from Fast Ring/Beta channel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T19:26:53+00:00

    Hi and sorry to hear you're experiencing this - we're looking in to it now.  If you'd like to help us debug, you can send email to the address in my profile.  Thanks for reporting this issue!

    EDIT: After discussing with JohnMorton8 over email, we identified an issue with our backend and are reverting the change.  Thanks for reporting the issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T19:11:07+00:00

    I'm having the exact same problem - Dictation works Ok in Word, but will not work in Outlook and I get the same "you need internet connection". Microsoft Help Desk couldn't solve it - including reloading Outlook.

    Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T17:01:19+00:00

    OK, glad to hear you're unblocked for now and sorry about the frustrations elsewhere.  Please let me know if you have any more issues with the dictation feature. 

    If you'd like to provide feedback on the other issues, you can submit those to the same place and they will be routed to the correct teams.

    -James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments