To use Dictation, you need internet connection. Please make sure your connection is working.

Anonymous
2020-07-07T20:22:25+00:00

Hi

Users are getting the subject message when trying to use Dictate in Office 365 E3 subscription.

The internet is ‘working’, apps signed in with O365 accounts so there is seems to be either a security profile setting, proxy filter or firewall issue. A lot of searching and I found very little documentation on this message, and certainly cannot find a definitive answer as to what/if Dictation requires certain firewall ports open nor what security profile setting to check in GPO which may apply. 

The following TechNet article suggested reviewing O365 Org Settings and Privacy but anything relating to Speech seems fine.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8111bb05-c674-4c43-a841-cae849b6a064/office-dictate-word-quotto-use-dictation-you-need-internet-connectionquot-specific?forum=Office2016ITPro

These options are managed by the organisation but where do I look in the Admin portal to enable Dictate?

Any pointers welcome.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-09T11:26:36+00:00

    Im on 2102 and still have the same issue as everyone else here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T17:22:21+00:00

    Thank you for reporting and apologies for the inconvenience. We are still seeing some instances of this issue and will continue our investigation. I will update this thread as I have more information.

    -James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T07:37:29+00:00

    Hi James,

    I have the same Problem, it doesn't work with the version 2101 in my case.

    The only way is to save the document online.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-13T21:22:14+00:00

    Hi everyone,

    This should now be fixed in any version of Word higher than 2101. You can see your current version and update Word by going to File > Account

    Please let me know if you still see this issue in version 2101 or higher.

    -James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-12T00:26:17+00:00

    I have been having intermittent problems with Dictation in Word (I have a personal M365 subscription and am on the preview channel: Build 13530.20264). Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I would say the split is 80% of the time it is not working and 20% of the time it is working. However, Dictation works in both Outlook (desktop app) and PowerPoint all the time. 

    When it doesn't work, I get the error saying "you need Internet connection." After further testing, I've learned that the way I use Word appears to be contributing to the problem. What I do is open a blank file in Word without saving it. I then dictate text into the blank Word file and then cut and paste it into documents I am editing (Word, Outlook emails, Excel, etc.). I should note that I've been using Word this way for at least a year and have only run into this problem in the last month or two.

    I can avoid the error by saving the empty Word file to my personal OneDrive account. This turns on AutoSave and Dictation works.

    I've sent in feedback reports so hopefully this will get fixed. I just wanted to document my fix in case it helps someone else.

    I keep getting the message error whenever I try to use Dictate in a Word document: "Ooops, To use Dictation, you need internet connection. Please make sure your connection is working." 

    The internet is connected though. 

    After hours and days of failed troubleshooting with MS agents, I read this comment here with this helpful workaround that worked for me: I can avoid the error by saving the empty Word file or by dictating to a saved filet.

    Microsoft should fix the issue though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments