Microsoft 365 features that help users manage their subscriptions, account settings, and billing information.
Same problem/error message. Dictation did not work in Word or Outlook, did work in Powerpoint. To resolve I restarted my system. Go figure?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi
Users are getting the subject message when trying to use Dictate in Office 365 E3 subscription.
The internet is ‘working’, apps signed in with O365 accounts so there is seems to be either a security profile setting, proxy filter or firewall issue. A lot of searching and I found very little documentation on this message, and certainly cannot find a definitive answer as to what/if Dictation requires certain firewall ports open nor what security profile setting to check in GPO which may apply.
The following TechNet article suggested reviewing O365 Org Settings and Privacy but anything relating to Speech seems fine.
These options are managed by the organisation but where do I look in the Admin portal to enable Dictate?
Any pointers welcome.
Microsoft 365 features that help users manage their subscriptions, account settings, and billing information.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Same problem/error message. Dictation did not work in Word or Outlook, did work in Powerpoint. To resolve I restarted my system. Go figure?
Just to level set, this was my experience (my issue was dictation in Word; I *was* on the FAST ring - more on that in a minute):
I deleted registry keys, logged out, and did a ton of other stuff. Nothing worked.
After hours of working with Microsoft support, I gave up.
Ultimately I did an ONLINE REPAIR, which...
... appears to have reverted me to the CURRENT channel (which is now, currently, build 13231.20262 - but wasn't when I had the issues)
For now I'm staying away from Fast Ring/Beta channel.
Thanks John. I did feedback earlier, but ultimately an online repair (reinstall) fixed it.
Then it broke the other user on same machime, but i can live with that.
OH - and the office removal tool is completely unusable on Windows 10 due to security. Running as admin, disabling Defender, disabling firewall, booting in safe mode - all do not work. This is a CERTIFIED MICROSOFT TOOL.
OH2 - Microsoft support does not have “20H2” as a valid version. That wasted 5 minutes arguing.
Answer for the forum post:
If using a web proxy filter for enterprise set-ups and running into issues with Dictation or other services, take a look at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/enterprise/urls-and-ip-address-ranges
The section for Microsoft 365 Common and Office Online Service Area should include the needed 52.108.0.0/14 IP published but linking the page above in case anything changes.
Hi Lee,
Thank you for querying in this forum. We understand the inconvenience caused and apologize for it. And we will try our best to help you.
According to your description, it seems that you cannot use Dictate feature in Office applications. And you encountered an error message. At the same time, you have searched a lot and you have tried the suggestions in the thread you provided to check network connection, firewall, Office network settings, and they work well.
May I know if my understanding is right? If so, we have tested it on our side and we cannot reproduce the same situation as yours. We can use this feature without any problem.
Given this situation, we have also searched a lot and we may find any related article to mention this error message. However, we still want to give you some suggestions below and hope that will help you:
If the same problem still persists after trying all suggestions above, to better understand your situation and test it on our side, could you provide the information below?
Best Regards,
Sukie