Office 365 SMTP authentication failing, even with correct account information

Anonymous
2020-02-10T16:38:43+00:00

On my Wordpress site I've run into a problem in the last day or so, where emails simply fail to send. Before today it was running flawlessly for two months. The account information/password/username etc have not changed in that two months.

I'm using a Wordpress plugin called WP Mail SMTP to facilitate the sending of all outgoing emails. The error log I'm getting from the email test on that is as follows:

Versions:

WordPress: 5.3.2

WordPress MS: No

PHP: 7.3.14-5+0~20200202.52+debian9~1.gbpa71879

WP Mail SMTP: 1.8.1

Params:

Mailer: smtp

Constants: No

ErrorInfo: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Host: smtp.office365.com

Port: 587

SMTPSecure: tls

SMTPAutoTLS: bool(true)

SMTPAuth: bool(true)

Server:

OpenSSL: OpenSSL 1.1.1d 10 Sep 2019

SMTP Debug:

2020-02-10 16:36:56 Connection: opening to smtp.office365.com:587, timeout=300, options=array ()

2020-02-10 16:36:56 Connection: opened

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 220 LNXP123CA0008.outlook.office365.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Mon, 10 Feb 2020 16:36:55 +0000

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: EHLO www.*****.com

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 250-LNXP123CA0008.outlook.office365.com Hello [***]250-SIZE 157286400250-PIPELINING250-DSN250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES250-STARTTLS250-8BITMIME250-BINARYMIME250-CHUNKING250 SMTPUTF8

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: STARTTLS

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 220 2.0.0 SMTP server ready

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: EHLO www.zestpromotional.com

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 250-LNXP123CA0008.outlook.office365.com Hello [***]250-SIZE 157286400250-PIPELINING250-DSN250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES250-AUTH LOGIN XOAUTH2250-8BITMIME250-BINARYMIME250-CHUNKING250 SMTPUTF8

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: AUTH LOGIN

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: c2FsZXNAemVzdHByb21vdGlvbmFsLmNvbQ==

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: QmFkMzM4MzA=

2020-02-10 16:37:02 SERVER -> CLIENT: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful [LNXP123CA0008.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM]

2020-02-10 16:37:02 SMTP ERROR: Password command failed: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful [LNXP123CA0008.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM]

SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

2020-02-10 16:37:02 CLIENT -> SERVER: QUIT

2020-02-10 16:37:02 SERVER -> CLIENT: 221 2.0.0 Service closing transmission channel

2020-02-10 16:37:02 Connection: closed

SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Does anyone have any ideas at all? I'm completely at a loss here.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-10T18:23:27+00:00

    Hello Adam,

    Given this situation, I consider you may login Outlook Web App with impacted account to see if emails can be sent.

    If Outlook Web App works well, then check firewall settings, anti-virus or related apps on your server and network, make sure all Office 365 related traffics are allowed: Office 365 URLs and IP address ranges, for some SMTP relay issues are caused by network settings.

    You may also refer to this article for troubleshooting: Fix issues with SMTP client submission.

    Besides, is there any organization-wide changes made recently? If convenient, use a different Office 365 account to see how it goes.

    Best Regards,

    Anna

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-13T14:03:29+00:00

    Hello Adam,

    Do you have any related information to share with us?

    Thanks,

    Anna

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-08T23:52:37+00:00

    Hello Adam,

    Given this situation, I consider you may login Outlook Web App with impacted account to see if emails can be sent.

    If Outlook Web App works well, then check firewall settings, anti-virus or related apps on your server and network, make sure all Office 365 related traffics are allowed: Office 365 URLs and IP address ranges, for some SMTP relay issues are caused by network settings.

    You may also refer to this article for troubleshooting: Fix issues with SMTP client submission.

    Besides, is there any organization-wide changes made recently? If convenient, use a different Office 365 account to see how it goes.

    Best Regards,

    Anna

    Hello Anna,

    I'm having the exact same issue currently.

    I have an older account (from January 2020, which is working perfect).

    I just got a new account & domain today, and for that one I get exactly the same error as Adam.

    I checked with the hosting provider, and no blocks at their end - so this is very strange.

    How should I go about it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-05-13T17:25:14+00:00

    I bought an email with Godaddy last night, using Office 365, so that I could use it for SMTP on my Wordpress site.  Same problem as these others -- the SMTP will not authenticate:  

    SMTP ERROR: Password command failed: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful [MN2PR04CA0007.namprd04.prod.outlook.com]

    I even changed passwords, to no avail.  Nothings works.  I think I need a refund.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments