Office 365 SMTP authentication failing, even with correct account information

Anonymous
2020-02-10T16:38:43+00:00

On my Wordpress site I've run into a problem in the last day or so, where emails simply fail to send. Before today it was running flawlessly for two months. The account information/password/username etc have not changed in that two months.

I'm using a Wordpress plugin called WP Mail SMTP to facilitate the sending of all outgoing emails. The error log I'm getting from the email test on that is as follows:

Versions:

WordPress: 5.3.2

WordPress MS: No

PHP: 7.3.14-5+0~20200202.52+debian9~1.gbpa71879

WP Mail SMTP: 1.8.1

Params:

Mailer: smtp

Constants: No

ErrorInfo: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Host: smtp.office365.com

Port: 587

SMTPSecure: tls

SMTPAutoTLS: bool(true)

SMTPAuth: bool(true)

Server:

OpenSSL: OpenSSL 1.1.1d 10 Sep 2019

SMTP Debug:

2020-02-10 16:36:56 Connection: opening to smtp.office365.com:587, timeout=300, options=array ()

2020-02-10 16:36:56 Connection: opened

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 220 LNXP123CA0008.outlook.office365.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Mon, 10 Feb 2020 16:36:55 +0000

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: EHLO www.*****.com

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 250-LNXP123CA0008.outlook.office365.com Hello [***]250-SIZE 157286400250-PIPELINING250-DSN250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES250-STARTTLS250-8BITMIME250-BINARYMIME250-CHUNKING250 SMTPUTF8

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: STARTTLS

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 220 2.0.0 SMTP server ready

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: EHLO www.zestpromotional.com

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 250-LNXP123CA0008.outlook.office365.com Hello [***]250-SIZE 157286400250-PIPELINING250-DSN250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES250-AUTH LOGIN XOAUTH2250-8BITMIME250-BINARYMIME250-CHUNKING250 SMTPUTF8

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: AUTH LOGIN

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: c2FsZXNAemVzdHByb21vdGlvbmFsLmNvbQ==

2020-02-10 16:36:56 SERVER -> CLIENT: 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

2020-02-10 16:36:56 CLIENT -> SERVER: QmFkMzM4MzA=

2020-02-10 16:37:02 SERVER -> CLIENT: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful [LNXP123CA0008.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM]

2020-02-10 16:37:02 SMTP ERROR: Password command failed: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful [LNXP123CA0008.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM]

SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

2020-02-10 16:37:02 CLIENT -> SERVER: QUIT

2020-02-10 16:37:02 SERVER -> CLIENT: 221 2.0.0 Service closing transmission channel

2020-02-10 16:37:02 Connection: closed

SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Does anyone have any ideas at all? I'm completely at a loss here.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-06T10:45:48+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-25T06:05:07+00:00

    Hi there, from what I've read from this thread, I can not use office365 SMTP anymore, an I write?!

    I want to use it in my project so if yes, what should I do to have a n email from one of my domains that I'll use for SMTP in the website. Or even what is the best replacement for this SMTP Service.

    This is what I get in the website.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-26T20:28:35+00:00

    We were able to resolve this by changing multifactor authentication default settings in azure directory property setting to “No”.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-18T13:05:38+00:00

    May be a help to other readers: I had a similar issue, with the same log messages. When I tried to use the password to login to my outlook account, it required me to change the password first. After it, it  works. So it seems that when a password is expired, this message appears as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-08T22:08:20+00:00

    Hey everyone,

    For anyone facing the failing authentication issue, I can suggest one thing to try that did solve the problem for me. Granted, there are many possible sources of the problem, so this suggestion won't necessarily fix the issue of course.

    In your Microsoft 365 Admin Center under the User tab, you have the ability to allow/disallow Email Apps. Head over to https://admin.microsoft.com/AdminPortal/Home#/users and click on the user that is facing the issues. In the "Email" tab of the modal that opened you'll be able to manage the Email Apps. Select Authenticated SMTP and click save.

    In our specific case that fixed the issue.
    I hope that helped :)

    Cheers

    This saved the day for me! Excellent. Can’t thank you enough.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments