Prevent download of shared file from OneDrive

Anonymous
2020-03-24T00:05:05+00:00
  1. In the home (personal) edition of OneDrive it is not possible to prevent download when I share a read-only file from the OneDrive. There is no option to block download at all. So when sharing any type of file with other people, they can download as much as they like!
  2. In the business edition of OneDrive it is possible to block download of Word, Excel, PowerPoint files - but NOT on any other file. This means that if I share a film, anybody can download the film to their computer. When I share music, anybody can download the music to their computer. And so on...

I find this really strange. It should be up to me to be able to stop any sort of download when sharing a file! I just want people to read, see or listen - nothing else!!

I know that through Google disk this is possible, but within the Microsoft Office 365 system this is really badly solved. How come? Why can Microsoft not make it possible for the owner to prevent download of any sort of file? (If Google can do it, Microsoft can do it - or is it hard to do this).

It really affects the need for protection of files being downloaded without control of the owner of the files! I just do not understand the logic behind this.

Microsoft, can you please add this possibility on both the personal and business edition of OneDrive! This has to do with protection of copyright on files! And within both subscriptions we are paying money to have our own personal OneDrive - so it should be up to the owner of the OneDrive to prevent any sort of download when sharing files.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-24T06:27:43+00:00

Hi Kjwathne,

Yes, you can prevent users from completely downloading the Office file only, then you must toggle the Block download option for view only links in Link Settings.


 

***Important:***There’s no option to block files from downloading if you are sharing an entire folder. This option is available only if share a single file.

As your concern to prevent users from downloading other files like video (mp4) and music file we totally understand the trouble at your end and we're sorry to say that we have limited resource, To address your concern about the situation, we’d suggest you kindly vote this UserVoice:. This is the best platform to let us hear from you and make our products and services better for you and others.

Your understanding and time will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Waqas Muhammad

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-17T15:26:59+00:00

    Is there any way we can block download of files contained within a folder now?

    It has been more than a year since the original reply and I am pretty sure there are many who would like to have the feature I have mentioned above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-02T15:35:37+00:00

    Did anyone create an enhancement request for this to allow blocking downloads in personal accounts - i would like to vote for it if so otherwise i will create new???

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-28T04:37:21+00:00

    Hi,

    One can still download the file by following the below mentioned steps :

    1. Ctrl+P
    2. Select "Save AS pdf" from the printer window
    3. Click in the "Save"Button

    Do you have any other way to disable "Print"?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-20T18:51:25+00:00

    I totally agree with @RomanK_362.  

    IP is a fundamental (massive) issue and one that is the lifeblood of developers.  I want to share ideas with colleagues but I do not want to share the solutions with the rest of the world when it is those solutions that I am paid to find and create - The output I create is my IP and made possible by my personal value which is my own USP and why my company hires me and not someone else. 

    I stand out from my peers because I am what I am - unique.  Drug companies producing COVID vaccines stand out from each other for the same reason.  Google get this and provide the ability to share ideas whilst allowing the individual the ability to protect their IP.  IP is what the world economy is built on so for MS to not provide protection at the user level is not an oversight but a demonstration of an amazing level of contempt for its users.

    I will now look to Google to share ideas with my new hires in order to train and proliferate best practice and techniques.

    Clearly, MS learnt a lot from their lucky and humble beginnings with IBM - A master class in screwing.  As a tutorial type manager and mentor, the lesson I see here is ' learn, climb ladder, pull up ladder behind you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments