Why does signing out suddenly de-activate office?

Anonymous
2020-07-16T15:23:12+00:00

I have office 365. I used to be able to sign out of an office application and the application still worked. I recently made the mistake of updating the office application where Office 365 is now Microsoft 365. It now seems I HAVE to sign in and stay signed in on my own computer where I downloaded and installed my office products to keep using MS Office. When I sign out, the office product deactivates. I don't want to be signed in to use the product that I paid for. It now means that everyone in my family who use the same computer also use my Office account with my name on each office application. Why did this policy change and can we get the previous policy back?

At https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/fyzfe6/how_to_logout_from_office_365_word_without/ a user commented:

"Yes you used to be able to sign out of Office 365 and it would still stay activated based on the original MS account that has the Office 365 subscription on it... BUT NOW since they changed the name to Microsoft 365 the NEW installers/program are different and if you sign out then it will deactivate Office and make you sign back in... if you updated from an older install then it still seems to let you log out even with the newest updates... but if you did an Online repair then you will be forced to stay signed in... once signed in with a valid subscription account you can sign in with any another microsoft account instead and it will keep the activation still.."

Please revert this manner of using Office products that have been paid for.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-24T15:21:43+00:00

    DDK try this as a workaround.

    Close all but one open Office 365 application (I often have several windows open)

    I signed out of 365.

    Unplugged the internet

    closed the application

    started it again

    It starts OK for me, just cannot access internet AI features like Dictate in Word.

    .

    I plugged the internet back in and when I start Word, it goes

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2020-07-24T14:57:40+00:00

    Stefan: 

    You can indeed sign in while connected to the internet, then disconnect from the internet, and the product remains activated and signed in (at least for me). However, when you try to sign out (whether you sign out while connected to the internet or sign out while disconnected) it completely deactivates office products.

    Then it is working the way Microsoft says it should be working now. 

    It has changed; there is no doubt about that. It isn't a change for the better.

    You should post feedback, as Rohn007 has already suggested.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-24T14:49:52+00:00

    Rohn007:

    Yeah, I did, hope they'll notice.

    Stefan:

    You can indeed sign in while connected to the internet, then disconnect from the internet, and the product remains activated and signed in (at least for me). However, when you try to sign out (whether you sign out while connected to the internet or sign out while disconnected) it completely deactivates office products.

    Ron Barker:

    It's not a similar thread. That thread is on someone opening office app and closing it, then after opening again he / she needs to sign in again. The person doesn't mind being signed in, but their issue is that he / she constantly gets a pop-up after opening an office app while they did not click on sign-out. this is not my situation. After I sign in, i do not get a new pop-up after closing and opening again.

    My issue is (to summarize again):

    • I have office 365 personal for only 1 device (it's the only device me and my wife use).
    • open an office app.
    • forced to sign in and can then use all functionality of the office apps while being connected or disconnected from the internet.
    • Clicking on 'sign-out' within an office app completely deactivates the app (for example Word), it won't allow you to even type words. It doesn't matter whether I'm connected or disconnected to the internet when signing out.
    • there is no other way for me to use Office apps other than signing in and remain signed in at all times (it's not an issue of being connected or disconnected to the internet and since I'm not using any other devices it is also not an issue of multiple devices signing in).

    The above points were different for me a month ago where  before I could sign out and still remain using the Office apps, they remained activated (just no online functionality) regardless of being connected or disconnected to the internet. I understand from Rohn007 that this seems to only occur on some machines which leads to the notion that MS is testing something or slowly rolling out this 'feature' of forcing you to remain signed in (for purposes not clear especially when you don't want to use online features).

    I guess there is nothing I can do for now, just be at the mercy of MS while they change the way you can use the product midway through the year while I payed for it at the beginning of the year.

    As Rohn007 said, for those experiencing the same just hit the feedback from within office apps or add it to the feedback hub. Also upvote here https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/40499542-require-option-to-remain-signed-out-of-office-acco

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-24T12:55:21+00:00

    Here is a similar thread from 2018: 

    Why do I have to sign in to Office account EVERY time?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-24T12:52:22+00:00

    Yes, we all have to be signed in (that is a fairly new requirement), but some people suggest that it is possible to be signed in without having an internet connection. I haven't tried if that actually works, though.

    Being signed in to Office 365 REQUIRES an internet connection. I have tried.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments