Office 365 app on Chromebook shuts down on start

Anonymous
2020-09-27T14:36:56+00:00

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem as well?

Every time I try and open the Office 365 app, it automatically closes the application within a second.

I have tried restarting the computer and reinstalling the app several times.

It is a brand new Chromebook Lenovo Yoga with a clean installation.

It has worked flawlessly for about 1 month and suddenly while working in a document, it refused to open up a PDF. Therefore, I restarted the computer after saving and closing down everything as I should.

After that it keeps closing and I am unable to use the Office 365 app, downloaded from the Google Play store, thereby also lost access to all my notes in there, though other documents can be accessed through a browser.

The other Microsoft Office applications I have installed work just fine; Outlook, OneNote & OneDrive.

The Office 365 app is the ONLY application on my Chromebook that there is any issue with, so I would love to avoid a factory reset of my Chromebook, for it to "might work".

Another interesting thing that happens is that after I try, I can hear my processor get a workout and the fan goes crazy, which is the first time I have ever experienced this computer to make any noise what so ever.

I use Office 365 with a license from my university study, so as of now, I have lost a good amount of notes but are simply working in Google Drive, for the time being, losing the advantages of using a common platform with my study groups.

I sincerely hope that we can find a fix for this issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-12T01:03:19+00:00

    Have same issue on a Chromebook, but at the moment only on the supervised account. No issues on the main account.

    It seems to me as the problem is with google

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-18T02:46:38+00:00

    Same issue here. I've sent an email to "offandfb#microsoft.com", but have no reply.

    Here's the crash log I got with ADB: https://fars.ee/MnG1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-21T11:51:07+00:00

    Hi everyone,

    I suddenly had the exact same problem today on my chromebook. Desperately trying to get it to work, I managed to click on one of my documents on the home page in the few seconds the app worked and it opened. Whilst the office app then crashed, my word document opened and I was then able to re-open the office app, which then stayed open. I did this a couple times and now the office app seems to stay open on its own. Not sure if this is just a random glitch and solution, but it may work for everyone else too.

    p.s. it was great to find this thread and know that it wasn't just an issue with my chromebook!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-13T18:25:14+00:00

    I could copy and paste from the others here - Office 365 closes immediately when opened on new HP chromebook.  Like others it worked great for a month and then - poof, no more.  Microsoft is denying this event.  Says it is not in their list of issues.  Until recently you could call them and they were good - but no one home anymore.  

    So just want to register my complaint here.  Yes, have tried all the suggestions but nothing resolves the issue.  What would help is if MS admiitted the issue and fixed it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-14T22:16:10+00:00

    I.m having the exact same problem on my new Pixelbook. I want to register the problem here too in the hope that Microsoft pull their finger out and do something about it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments