Office 365 app on Chromebook shuts down on start

Anonymous
2020-09-27T14:36:56+00:00

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem as well?

Every time I try and open the Office 365 app, it automatically closes the application within a second.

I have tried restarting the computer and reinstalling the app several times.

It is a brand new Chromebook Lenovo Yoga with a clean installation.

It has worked flawlessly for about 1 month and suddenly while working in a document, it refused to open up a PDF. Therefore, I restarted the computer after saving and closing down everything as I should.

After that it keeps closing and I am unable to use the Office 365 app, downloaded from the Google Play store, thereby also lost access to all my notes in there, though other documents can be accessed through a browser.

The other Microsoft Office applications I have installed work just fine; Outlook, OneNote & OneDrive.

The Office 365 app is the ONLY application on my Chromebook that there is any issue with, so I would love to avoid a factory reset of my Chromebook, for it to "might work".

Another interesting thing that happens is that after I try, I can hear my processor get a workout and the fan goes crazy, which is the first time I have ever experienced this computer to make any noise what so ever.

I use Office 365 with a license from my university study, so as of now, I have lost a good amount of notes but are simply working in Google Drive, for the time being, losing the advantages of using a common platform with my study groups.

I sincerely hope that we can find a fix for this issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-27T16:55:33+00:00

    Hi Frederik,

    <***Don't call the phone number in the first reply, it's from a spammer***>

    Thanks for posting details about your concern here. I didn’t encounter this kind of issue before, based on your scenario, I have done many research, this kind of issue might be caused by browser cache, so I recommend you could try to clear your browser’s cache, then try to re-install Office app again, and view if outcome is different.

    If above method doesn’t help, according to my experience, this issue might also occur when there is conflict between Office app and other individual Office app, if it is convenient to you, you could also try to uninstall other individual Office apps, then re-install Office app and view if it works. Note: Remember to back up data in advance. Besides, there is an official article (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/install-and-set-up-office-on-an-android-cafe9d6f-8b0c-4b03-b20a-12438a82a22d) that mentions some questions related to installing and setting up Office app, you could also have a check if it helps you.

    Further, about the notes, may I know which kind of notes that have lost? If you store them in Office app, they should sync with related server, please offer me more details about it, so that I could offer you further suggestion. And If Office app still crashes, I’d like to confirm if you modified any setting in your computer or added certain app before the issue occurred, please quit other programs when start Office app, and see if outcome is better, if processor still gets a workout and the fan gets crazy, please capture screenshot of your task manager for further analysis, thanks for your cooperation.

    Kind Regards,

    Betty

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-29T23:09:48+00:00

    Hi Frederik,

    Is there any update to share with us?

    Kind Regards,

    Betty

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T00:06:44+00:00

    I have the exact same issue. And this is not about Chrome browser, it's a Chromebook running the Office 365 app from the Play Store.

    This was working for about a month with no issues.

    I can login to my account on another laptop and using a browser.

    However, I need the Chromebook Office365 app to work as it's for school work.

    Interesting that someone has the same exact issue on a Chromebook. Looking for a solution asap.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T17:26:19+00:00

    Having the same issue.  Tried to uninstall and reinstall the app and I also made sure no other Microsoft apps were on my Chromebook.  Would love a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments