Office 365 app on Chromebook shuts down on start

Anonymous
2020-09-27T14:36:56+00:00

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem as well?

Every time I try and open the Office 365 app, it automatically closes the application within a second.

I have tried restarting the computer and reinstalling the app several times.

It is a brand new Chromebook Lenovo Yoga with a clean installation.

It has worked flawlessly for about 1 month and suddenly while working in a document, it refused to open up a PDF. Therefore, I restarted the computer after saving and closing down everything as I should.

After that it keeps closing and I am unable to use the Office 365 app, downloaded from the Google Play store, thereby also lost access to all my notes in there, though other documents can be accessed through a browser.

The other Microsoft Office applications I have installed work just fine; Outlook, OneNote & OneDrive.

The Office 365 app is the ONLY application on my Chromebook that there is any issue with, so I would love to avoid a factory reset of my Chromebook, for it to "might work".

Another interesting thing that happens is that after I try, I can hear my processor get a workout and the fan goes crazy, which is the first time I have ever experienced this computer to make any noise what so ever.

I use Office 365 with a license from my university study, so as of now, I have lost a good amount of notes but are simply working in Google Drive, for the time being, losing the advantages of using a common platform with my study groups.

I sincerely hope that we can find a fix for this issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-28T16:08:55+00:00

    There is still no solution to the problems with the application.

    What you can do is to uninstall it and install all the other apps separately, as they still work. Like Word, Xcel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, etc.

    This is the best we can do until they fix their programming. I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-28T12:42:45+00:00

    Also having the same issue, worked fine for about a month now crashing tried everything

    PS should have bought a laptop ! )

    Have you managed to sort this issue please ? thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-22T17:24:12+00:00

    Yeah, it is a programming issue it seems.

    Good thing others reply they have the same issue so we have a better understanding of where the problem lay.

    Thanks Frederick for your responses.

    I will try what you described in the other post. While it isn't a solution (which you explain eloquently), at least it might allow to access my work.

    It's just too bad that the Moderator can't step in here and at least respond occasionally.

    Why else be a Moderator. If someone is assigned to be the Moderator, but then rarely actually moderates, then this a fail,..if they chose to be one, please, hand-off the job to someone else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-22T17:04:33+00:00

    PS. I like the unified app instead of all the individual apps, which is the current workaround.

    So when the unified app starts to work again, could you please write it in here so I can see it and reinstall it? :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-22T17:02:03+00:00

    There is still no solution to the problems with the application.

    What you can do is to uninstall it and install all the other apps separately, as they still work. Like Word, Xcel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, ect.

    This is the best we can do until they fix their programming. I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments