Office 365 app on Chromebook shuts down on start

Anonymous
2020-09-27T14:36:56+00:00

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem as well?

Every time I try and open the Office 365 app, it automatically closes the application within a second.

I have tried restarting the computer and reinstalling the app several times.

It is a brand new Chromebook Lenovo Yoga with a clean installation.

It has worked flawlessly for about 1 month and suddenly while working in a document, it refused to open up a PDF. Therefore, I restarted the computer after saving and closing down everything as I should.

After that it keeps closing and I am unable to use the Office 365 app, downloaded from the Google Play store, thereby also lost access to all my notes in there, though other documents can be accessed through a browser.

The other Microsoft Office applications I have installed work just fine; Outlook, OneNote & OneDrive.

The Office 365 app is the ONLY application on my Chromebook that there is any issue with, so I would love to avoid a factory reset of my Chromebook, for it to "might work".

Another interesting thing that happens is that after I try, I can hear my processor get a workout and the fan goes crazy, which is the first time I have ever experienced this computer to make any noise what so ever.

I use Office 365 with a license from my university study, so as of now, I have lost a good amount of notes but are simply working in Google Drive, for the time being, losing the advantages of using a common platform with my study groups.

I sincerely hope that we can find a fix for this issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-12T16:03:43+00:00

    Same.  I have a Pixelbook Go and the Office app just closes after a few seconds when I try to open any of the programs.  Very frustrating.  The only work around I have found so far is to use Office online in the browser (making sure that the Office app is uninstalled from my Chromebook).  This at least lets me use the different programs online.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-05T21:56:05+00:00

    Same exact issue here. I might be confirming my mistake of moving to a Chromebook. This is a game changer not being able to use Office 365. I was hoping it was a simple fix but it seems as if Chrome and Micro do not want to play.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-03T16:54:02+00:00

    Hi

    I have the same issue - the app just closes as soon as i open it. This is really frustrating because I have a lot of work to do and no means of getting it done now! Also frustrating to see so many people with the same issue and Microsoft appear to be ignoring the situation. I am not happy about this as we pay good money for this product, so to not be able to use it is unnacceptable. If a solution isn't found soon I think we should find a third party to push for a soultion for us - financial ombudsman perhaps?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-27T11:03:55+00:00

    I have encountered the same problem.  I have just uninstalled the Office and will continue using the individual apps. 

    In my work, I find it troublesome that functions such as a mail merge do not appear on these Chromebook versions.  I wonder if anyone else has faced this issue and how/if they have been able to work around them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-05T02:24:57+00:00

    I did uninstall and reinstalled the Office app. It works the first time fine. The next time I open the app. The app opens and then closes. It is so frustrating that Microsoft is not resolving this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments