Office 365 app on Chromebook shuts down on start

Anonymous
2020-09-27T14:36:56+00:00

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem as well?

Every time I try and open the Office 365 app, it automatically closes the application within a second.

I have tried restarting the computer and reinstalling the app several times.

It is a brand new Chromebook Lenovo Yoga with a clean installation.

It has worked flawlessly for about 1 month and suddenly while working in a document, it refused to open up a PDF. Therefore, I restarted the computer after saving and closing down everything as I should.

After that it keeps closing and I am unable to use the Office 365 app, downloaded from the Google Play store, thereby also lost access to all my notes in there, though other documents can be accessed through a browser.

The other Microsoft Office applications I have installed work just fine; Outlook, OneNote & OneDrive.

The Office 365 app is the ONLY application on my Chromebook that there is any issue with, so I would love to avoid a factory reset of my Chromebook, for it to "might work".

Another interesting thing that happens is that after I try, I can hear my processor get a workout and the fan goes crazy, which is the first time I have ever experienced this computer to make any noise what so ever.

I use Office 365 with a license from my university study, so as of now, I have lost a good amount of notes but are simply working in Google Drive, for the time being, losing the advantages of using a common platform with my study groups.

I sincerely hope that we can find a fix for this issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-12T05:00:21+00:00

    Exactly same problem here.

    Can't believe no one from either Microsoft or google have bothered to response to this issue.

    Just bought my chrombook and I find this really frustrating. Love the machine but I NEED my 365!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-10T21:28:02+00:00

    Same here.  Brand new Acer Chromebook.  Office 365 registered.  Geez

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-08T18:42:28+00:00
    1. Ms. Office or office 365 on my brand new Samsung Chromebook does the same thing. I bought my Chromebook this past December. when my class started a week into it started to close down every time I would open it. I could even get my assignment done on tie it actually started my whole late assignments. How does one get that app. to stop crashing?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-08T15:59:42+00:00

    SAME issue with New, Up-to-Date, Lenovo 2-in-1 Chromebook. I am about to download each office app separately to see if it will start one by one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-06T03:49:59+00:00

    Powerpoint keeps closing on my Chromebook 14-db0025nr. Very frustrating, i have a presentation coming up and this is a brand new Chromebook, and everything is up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments