Office 365 app on Chromebook shuts down on start

Anonymous
2020-09-27T14:36:56+00:00

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem as well?

Every time I try and open the Office 365 app, it automatically closes the application within a second.

I have tried restarting the computer and reinstalling the app several times.

It is a brand new Chromebook Lenovo Yoga with a clean installation.

It has worked flawlessly for about 1 month and suddenly while working in a document, it refused to open up a PDF. Therefore, I restarted the computer after saving and closing down everything as I should.

After that it keeps closing and I am unable to use the Office 365 app, downloaded from the Google Play store, thereby also lost access to all my notes in there, though other documents can be accessed through a browser.

The other Microsoft Office applications I have installed work just fine; Outlook, OneNote & OneDrive.

The Office 365 app is the ONLY application on my Chromebook that there is any issue with, so I would love to avoid a factory reset of my Chromebook, for it to "might work".

Another interesting thing that happens is that after I try, I can hear my processor get a workout and the fan goes crazy, which is the first time I have ever experienced this computer to make any noise what so ever.

I use Office 365 with a license from my university study, so as of now, I have lost a good amount of notes but are simply working in Google Drive, for the time being, losing the advantages of using a common platform with my study groups.

I sincerely hope that we can find a fix for this issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T18:27:38+00:00

    Just did a search to see if there are other Chromebook users with this issue of Office365 app crashing on startup.

    and the bottom line is,..there are a lot of people with this same issue.

    I also searched the Office365's reviews on the Play Store.

    The majority of recent negative comments are from Chromebook users where the app crashes on startup.

    It's all the same complaint. Support, search for yourself and you'll see what we're all talking about.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T00:06:44+00:00

    I have the exact same issue. And this is not about Chrome browser, it's a Chromebook running the Office 365 app from the Play Store.

    This was working for about a month with no issues.

    I can login to my account on another laptop and using a browser.

    However, I need the Chromebook Office365 app to work as it's for school work.

    Interesting that someone has the same exact issue on a Chromebook. Looking for a solution asap.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-07T17:26:19+00:00

    Having the same issue.  Tried to uninstall and reinstall the app and I also made sure no other Microsoft apps were on my Chromebook.  Would love a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-21T19:06:58+00:00

    Just did a search to see if there are other Chromebook users with this issue of Office365 app crashing on startup.

    and the bottom line is,..there are a lot of people with this same issue.

    I also searched the Office365's reviews on the Play Store.

    The majority of recent negative comments are from Chromebook users where the app crashes on startup.

    It's all the same complaint. Support, search for yourself and you'll see what we're all talking about.

    Glad to see its not just me.  

    Chromebook user here, also having the exact same issue with 365 around the same time as everyone else in this thread.  Has Microsoft addressed this obvious software issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-21T20:08:48+00:00

    Just did a search to see if there are other Chromebook users with this issue of Office365 app crashing on startup.

    and the bottom line is,..there are a lot of people with this same issue.

    I also searched the Office365's reviews on the Play Store.

    The majority of recent negative comments are from Chromebook users where the app crashes on startup.

    It's all the same complaint. Support, search for yourself and you'll see what we're all talking about.

    Glad to see its not just me.  

    Chromebook user here, also having the exact same issue with 365 around the same time as everyone else in this thread.  Has Microsoft addressed this obvious software issue?  

    I'm not aware of a solution to this issue.

    At least no Microsoft Support personal responded to my posts.

    This makes no sense to me,...this where you're supposed to post issues and then no response.

    Even describing how exactly the issue can be reproduced illicits no response.

    This is a huge issue for college students that use Chromebooks and use Office365.

    Hello.....Betty Gui,..you're listed as the moderator.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments