Word crashes when opening Citation Source Manager

Anonymous
2020-03-17T03:33:58+00:00

(Updated post)

Hi.

Anybody knows how to solve this problem?

In Word when I select, References tab, Citations, bottom right options and Citation Source Manager, word just immediately crashes and the Microsoft Error Reporting window appears. 

  • I tried removing all of Office and  reinstalling but the problem is still there.
  • Previously I've been able to use citation manager with out any problems until recently when the error started.
  • In an empty new file citation manager works fine (the list is empty)
  • I've also tried using it in some older files with citations, but Word keeps crashing.

I'm using:

macOs Catalina version 10.15.3

Microsoft Word for Mac Version 16.35 (20030802)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The error report:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

ExceptionEnumString: 805306368

Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x00000001131b4000)

Date/Time: 2020-03-18 03:43:14 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Word

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

Application Signature: MSWD

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.35.0.20030802

Crashed Module Name: merp

Crashed Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000000000005aa3

Blame Module Name: MSXML

Blame Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 135E1661A83E6FD0B9AFE703627F81C9

Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000e5ab1

StackHash: e71d84****ce0b85e-dm_805306368_main

Application LCID: 10**

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007ffeee98f158

Crashed thread: 0

......

Operating System Information

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.15.3 (Build 19D76)

CPU: Intel x86, Logical CPU Count: 4, Frequency: 2500 MHz

Physical Memory: 16384 MB

Device_model: MacBookPro14,1

Screen: 1440.000000 x 900.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 0.000000, 0.000000, 1440.000000, 900.000000

Screen: 1920.000000 x 1080.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 1440.000000, 763.000000, 1920.000000, 1080.000000

CrashedApp_Virtual_Memory_Size_MB: 5472.765

CrashedApp_Resident_Memory_Size_MB: 250.5820

ErrorReportingDeviceUUID: 9C58D398-40D1-5D8D-8387-7C9****

ErrorReportingUUID: 401992B7-2E61-4329-8F97-FDDE4****

ULS UUID: 1F7C6E31-C5AE-436E-A1FA-809195E****

CrashedLogSessionId: 1F7C6E31-C5AE-436E-A1FA-809****

TimeFromLaunch: 0 hours, 10 minutes, 46 seconds

CrashedSessionDuration: 646

Total errors on this client: 95

Microsoft Application Information:

Audience: Production

Tenant_Id: 5f282910-176f-459d-ab7d-b7****

AudienceChannel: CC

AudienceGroup: Production

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-25T10:45:55+00:00

    Having the exact same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-24T14:47:37+00:00

    I have the same problem. I have tons of references in my citation manager and now I can't access them. On top of that my bibliography has started coming out non-alphabetised since a few months ago already. I assumed this would resolve with updates, but this is catastrophic for me. I also can't seem to convert my bibliography to static text. This system does not work well at all, and it has now wasted a ton of my precious research time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-24T13:47:53+00:00

    Hi Oliver,

    The first step half worked for me. Word doesn't crash anymore, but when I open a document to copy citations to the master list, no citations are visible. I've added a picture of this to the post.

    Also, can I delete the folder on the desktop?

    Thank you!  

    you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-23T13:46:47+00:00

    I agree completely. The references tool is an important part of my academic work and of my students. This is a major issue, not a minor bug.

    Downgrading to 16.34 solves partially the issue: now I can open the source manager without crashes but the sources are note listed alphabetically as they should. Also, when producing the bibliography of a paper the order of the references is weird.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-23T08:49:26+00:00

    What helped for me was creating the bibliography on a Windows computer instead of using Mac.

    I have been working for 5 years on a research project using my Mac environment? There is no way I will, or can change a platform considering all the related software that intergrates into the project. Windows should just make sure that their upgrades, upgrade the user experience instead of downgrade it. It should not be my problem to spend hours trying to make something work that worked fine before an upgrade. This is the price we pay when monopoly exists in an environment such as word processing. My institution, with thousands of user licences depend on a product that ensures academic productivity. A bit more competition in the market will not accommodate such a laid back response from a software company.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments