Intermittent permissions error in Word 365 for Mac

Anonymous
2019-04-24T18:11:45+00:00

I'm finding I'm getting an intermittent permissions error in Word 365 (16.24) on MacOS Mojave (10.14.4).

I'll generally be able to open and save documents for a couple of hours - then, I'll get an error telling me I don't have the required permissions to open the document(s) I'm trying to access. I can't save the current document I'm working on either. These are all documents that I have created - on the same Mac using Word 365 (usually within the last few days or weeks)

A restart helps with the issue - but only postpones it for another couple of hours. Plus I don't want to have to keep restarting!!

When I try to open a file I get the following popup:

After selecting to grant access I then get:

Then, after choosing the correct file and selecting 'grant access', I get:

Any help would be appreciated! I can obviously post more info if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-02T05:57:40+00:00

    Hi SteKelly,

    Let us know if you need further after you check the steps.

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-30T09:01:19+00:00

    Hi SteKelly,

    Thanks for your reply.

    To delete the Keychain and UBF folder is clean the old Office credential to reactivate your Mac.

    Please try to open Finder > Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access and remove the following password entries:​

    Microsoft Office Identities Cache 2​

    Microsoft Office Identities Settings 2​

    Restart your Mac and open any Microsoft Office app to reactivate.

    If it not useful, you may also try the following steps to delete the old Office credential files in your Mac:

    1. Click Go on the start screen of your Mac and choose Go to Folders in the drop-down options;
    2. Type ~/Library/ in the open window and click Go;
    3. Find the 3 UBF folders and move it to the desktop:
    • UBF8T346G9.ms​
    • UBF8T346G9.Office​
    • UBF8T346G9.OfficeOsfWebHost

    Note: This will remove the licenses and you need to reactivate Office. You may need to backup your emails in case of any data lose​.

    In addition, the Grant Access errormay caused by the updated Apple sandboxing rules. Apple now uses sandboxing to limit various actions by tying them to a specific location. Application sandboxing is very effective in preventing viruses or other malware from affecting OS files. Please follow this link for instructions on how to deal with the Grant Permissions issue: Grant File Access

    Fix: Office 2016 Grant Access Error on MacOS

    Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.​

    Please tell us your update and let us further assist you.

    Thanks,

    Clark

    ( update by Clark Wang MSFT at 2019/5/16 10:26 at UTC+8)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-30T08:39:52+00:00

    I've tried this with the problem occurring Michelle - but I don't see an option for making a newly created keychain password 'default'. I can change my default passwords, but I don't think that's what you're suggesting?

    Anyway, doing all that without marking anything as default doesn't work - so perhaps you could expand on making the newly created keychain default?

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-29T10:30:51+00:00

    Hi Clark. I followed your instructions perfectly but the error has just occurred again. I'd rather not have to completely uninstall everything from my machine - but I will if I have to. What would you recommend as my next step?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-04-24T20:35:24+00:00

    Hi, how are you, thanks for posting in our microsoft community

    I recommend that you try to resolve the issue by completely uninstalling it and then reinstalling it

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/troubl...

    Also you may take a look to the information in this thread:

    https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/32070...

    Best luck!

    ——————————————————————-

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments