Invalid notebook name error - Microsoft OneNote

Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:37:36+00:00

I get the above error when I try to create a new blank notebook. I checked to make sure I am logged into my Microsoft Account, and have tried all variations I can think of like adding more words, separating the words with underscore, or dash lines. There is not button on the form to get more details about the error or what the fix would be. What should I do?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-04-17T16:58:59+00:00

Hi, I'm Roberta, a Microsoft Advisor and I'm here to help and assist you!

Did you try to repair Onenote?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

Hope this helps!

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-10T01:54:17+00:00

    Hi all

    I have recently had this same problem and have found a cause and fix for my particular circumstances. This could be similar to your own experience.

    I was getting "Invalid notebook name" regardless of template selection and name value with no more detail. Repairing the installation did not resolve it.

    My email address was associated with two seperate Microsoft accounts. One was a personal account and the other was a work/school account. OneNote was connecting by default to the personal account. I could fix this by signing out, and then signing in again but clicking the button to say use a Work of School account, then entering the login credentials. 

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-24T15:46:54+00:00

    Hi, I'm Roberta, a Microsoft Advisor and I'm here to help and assist you!

    Did you try to repair Onenote?

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

    Hope this helps!

    Thank you

    Hi Roberta,

    I have the same issue.

    Repair or reset did not solve my issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-24T17:14:42+00:00

    I am experiencing the same issue and the repair did not do anything :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-22T14:07:36+00:00

    Christina

    I used the repair option, and that addressed my issue. I am not able to create notebooks, and everything else. Go to settings > apps > OneNote and click on OneNote and the link right under it called advanced options. In the next window that comes up, click on repair.

    Hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments