Labeling unique pages with unique identifiers (name/ID number)

Anonymous
2018-11-16T23:56:38+00:00

I have one document with 144 pages.  Each page is unique and numbered (1, 2, 3, etc), and I want to label each of those pages with a set of First Name, Last Name, and ID number which correlate to the numbers on the page.  For example, the top of the document will say "Case #1" which correlates to John Smith, ID#22201, then second page will have "Case #2" which correlates to Jane Austen, ID#22202, etc.  The document is not the same, meaning everything else on the page is different text, so I just want to "label" each page with the unique identifiers.  Possible in the footer of the page as the text is crowding.  Not sure if I need to splice each document out individually?  This is something that I need to do every few months with different identifiers (different names that correlate to the same case #s, so I realize I can do this manually - copy and paste the information on each page, but looking for a long term solution.  I tried mail merge, but I am limited in my understanding, and I believe it has to be the same document that can "import" the identifiers onto the same text.  Thoughts?

[The thread has been moved to the correct category by forum moderator]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T00:53:37+00:00

    Doug,

    When you say the Case #s are listed on the top of each of the pages, are they in the body of the document, or are they in the header, in which case, I assume that they are actually page number fields?

    -----My apologies for not making this clearer sooner as I thought it was in the body, but YES, it is in the header with page numbers numbering.  So the header reads:  BS 2022 Triple Jump - Case #1

    -------The year of 2022 will be updated each continuous year, and the numbering next to "Case #-" uses page numbering to auto format

    If they are in the body of the document, are they in the first paragraph on each page?

    ----The information within the body does not need to be updated or changed, but is different on every page of the 144 page document

    Are the pages separated by hard page breaks, or do the page breaks occur because the first paragraph on each page is formatted to have a page break before it?

    -----There are not designated page breaks or section breaking in the document.  The amount of text simply fits on each page, so it is a continuous document.

    Was the 144 page document created by using mail merge?

    -----No, it was a mish mash of several documents being copied and pasted into this one large document

    If would easier to help you if you can send me a copy of the document and of the Excel workbook, referencing this thread in the covering email message.

    ------It contains sensitive information, but I am able to send you a replicated copy of it minus the sensitive information.  Please give me a few moments and I will send it over.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-20T23:11:22+00:00

    When you say the Case #s are listed on the top of each of the pages, are they in the body of the document, or are they in the header, in which case, I assume that they are actually page number fields?

    If they are in the body of the document, are they in the first paragraph on each page?

    Are the pages separated by hard page breaks, or do the page breaks occur because the first paragraph on each page is formatted to have a page break before it?

    Was the 144 page document created by using mail merge?

    If would easier to help you if you can send me a copy of the document and of the Excel workbook, referencing this thread in the covering email message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T16:28:26+00:00

    Doug,

    Is each page in the document in a separate Section (i.e. separated from the next by a Section Break)?

    -----No but I can add the section breaks if necessary

    Is the requirement to end up with each page being a separate document?

    -----No it is preferred to still be a single document, however if it outputs separate pages that is not a problem

    Are the names and Case # in an Excel workbook (the Case # is not so important and long as the names are in the order required for the Case # to be applied in the correct sequence)?  If not there, where are they?

    -----No the Case#s are listed on the top of each of the pages in the word document.  There are 144 pages in the single word document, and at the top of each page, it starts with "Case #.....".  If it needs to be put into an excel document, I can easily make that, but not sure how it would correspond to each page of text as each case contains different text.  The first name, last name, ID# is in an excel spreadsheet and ultimately paired with the correct case# with its unique text.

    My apologies the previous response was not clear.  I appreciate all the assistance!

    Jocelyn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T16:22:56+00:00

    Thank you Neo!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-20T12:51:11+00:00

    What we need is not time, but more information:

    Is each page in the document in a separate Section (i.e. separated from the next by a Section Break)?

    Is the requirement to end up with each page being a separate document?

    Are the names and Case # in an Excel workbook (the Case # is not so important and long as the names are in the order required for the Case # to be applied in the correct sequence)?  If not there, where are they?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments